’94 Pontaic Grand Am SE Highway speed Moaning

I have a 1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr, 3.1 L V6. On highway speed, around 90km and up, I hear this low moaning noise coming from the front right part of the car. The volume goes up and down really
slowing. What is weird is that when I slightly turn the wheel to the right, it disappears, but then I can’t drive straight. This has been going on for awhile now. Any ideas will help.
2 years ago, the guy I bought it from, replaced the front rotor, I forget which side because the car would litterally shake at highway speeds. I’m not sure if that has to do anything with it.
βœ–
Sounds like a wheel bearing.

http://www.AutoBoardz.com/94-Pontaic-Grand-SE-Highway-speed-Moaning-ftopict208328.html
Add pictures here
βœ–

Abomb offered sound advice (no pun intended--did this twice this AM! Duh!). To rule out something cheap, try swapping 2 front tires. If noise moves to other side, it could be a tire; else, bearing is probably bad, as Abomb said. HTH, s
Add pictures here
βœ–
The only time I had ever had tire bad is when it was a pulsating buzzing sound.

Add pictures here
βœ–

I've had some bad tires that made a loud screeching sound - almost always up acceleration. Sometimes the screeching sound was accompanied by smoke billowing out from them, and a powerful smell. Always figured these were just bad tires...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Wheel bearing.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
βœ–
I took the car to Midas for a free inpection, it was the wheel bearing. Also, they quoted 175.95 for the bearing and 70$ labour to install it. Also, on my left side(front) a ball joint was needed, the wheel gaved a bit when he pushed into it. He quoted me 152.25 on the ball joint and 98.00 for labour. What is your opinion on thier pricing.
Also, I tookt he car apart to see it for myself and had a new wheel bearing to replace, the front right wheel bearing is for sure definately loose. I took off the axle nut and the wheeling bearing retaining bolts (3 of them using a #55 Torque bit). Took off the rotors and brakes pads, so it’s just the wheel hub (wheel bearing) showing, I punched in the center of the drive axle so the wheel bearing center is loose but I can’t get the darn thing off. There are no nuts in it, nothing to hold it back I think. It’s really rusted, I’m not sure if the part is rusted together or soemthing. Is it common for the wheeling bearing to rust to the part behind it.
Once I get it off, I should be able to put in the new one on no problem, been tryiing for 4 hours already. Any ideas will help.
"cardboard001" wrote: > I have a 1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr, 3.1 L V6. On highway > speed, around 90km and up, I hear this low moaning noise > coming from the front right part of the car. The volume goes > up and down really slowing. What is weird is that when I > slightly turn the wheel to the right, it disappears, but then > I can't drive straight. This has been going on for awhile now. > Any ideas will help. > > 2 years ago, the guy I bought it from, replaced the front > rotor, I forget which side because the car would litterally > shake at highway speeds. I'm not sure if that has to do > anything with it.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Throw some heat to it if you have access to torches. If not, get a bigger hammer. You're right in guessing that the hub assembly seizes in the steering knuckle over time. What you are probably seeing right now is a disintegrated hub assembly. The outer part seems to come out quite nicely - but it shouldn't. The inner half is still snugly rusted in the knuckle. Get ornery with it and prevail by shear force.

You're on the right track. Get a little more forceful.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.netd