94 Regal Door Problem.

Hi,
I have a 94 buick regal 2 door, the outter door handles have both broke! How do I get in my car now? Any suggestions would be helpful, it would save me from busting out a window
or somthing.
Call a locksmith.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
Adam wrote:

Now it depends on how much of a hole you have to work through with the handle broken off. The handle pulls a rod that goes to the door latch. If you could grab that rod or a part of the remaining handle that still attaches to it and pull, you could open that door.(However, the rod may have fallen into the door.) Depending on the quality and future of this vehicle, I might be apt to open up a small access door by pealing back the metal there to gain access and fixing it later. I realize it wouldn't work for most. You are probably going to the junk yard for a handle. You could find a glass there if needed. Remember, you have two sides to work with now. You might have more luck on one side. If you were Houdini, maybe you could pull the inside handle with a hanger stuck through the top of the window between the moulding and glass. It's a tough situation.

Try using a coat hanger or a long screwdriver to press down on the latch inside where the handle should be. That should release the latch and open the door. Then you have to replace the handle.
Napa has new reinforced handles.

-
the handle is still attatched to the car you can pull on it but its free, I mean no resistance so I think the metal bar has dropped into the door. No, door glass isnt an easy find around here, nither are the doors.

Well - the first suggestion I'd offer is not to wait until you've broken both handles to fix one. I can't believe for a moment that both handles coincidentally broke at the same time.
Beyond that - you should be able to reach a pair of needle nose pliers in to get a grip on the linkage and open the door. If you can't, call AAA or a similar organization (tow yard, etc.) that has the tools to pull the door latch linkage by going down through the window seal.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Adam wrote:

pick it up. I'd be a bit more aggressive about bending that door edge at the top and working from that space. Sometimes they really flex. Try to wedge a piece of wood in it there so you can work freely. Be sure to bitch the BL out about leaving you stranded.
No, its his car, my gf told me to post a message here asking for advice, myself I have never run into that problem because I wouldnt own one of those cars, (Regal, Grand Prix, or Beretta) because of those stupid door handles.

fairly large access-hole. Other than this, if we think outside the box for a solution, you may open the trunk, remove the back, upper seat, and gain access--may need to borrow someone's tiny son to crawl thru to open door from inside. Give him a big sucker--plus a nice, crisp $bill for Christmas! Else, use an impact-chisel-cutter to remove excess reinforcing sheet metal which replacement of rear seat will render invisible(Now, I didn't say *hide*, did I?). HTH & good luck, s
sdlomi2 wrote:

Slim Jim (NOT the beef stuff).