94 Transsport 3.1 L - loss of power, poor mileage

Hiya,

I'm getting frustrated... Here's the scoop. 94 Transsport 3.1L ... Throttle body fuel injection. 256 Kkm. Drives well... I had a rough idle/loss of power. I figured a dropped a cylinder, and did plugs, wires and rotor (they were due again anyway). Now runs smooth but feels weak (down on power) and getting poor mileage. I put a new O2 sensor in (no change) and checked compression (all good)... plugs all look the same, and disconnecting any plug wire affects the idle (so it's firing on all). Vacuum is good.

I figure it's burning about 1/3 more fuel than it used to.

The CEL works, but other than at startup, it has never lit.

So, any idea's why it might be running so rich?? Other troubleshooting ideas??

Many thanks!!

BF

Take it to a shop and have them do a leak test. That will indicate problems with the rings or valves. Unlike a compression check, the leak test pressurizes the cylinder then indicates how much pressure is getting passed. At 256k, its given you double the normal life.

Take care.

Reply to
brxsep

Try unplugging the EGR valve and then drive it to see if there's a change in the amount of power it has.

Reply to
James Goforth