95 Buick Eletra - stalling when slowing to a stop.

A friend's car stalls, SOMETIMES, but it getting a bit more frequently now. It only stalls when I'm coming to a stop. Sometimes, it would stall while AT full stop. The power steering goes out, but the other
things (radio, lights) doesn't. No warning (blinking lights) at all before stalling.
The check-engine does come on when in heavy traffic for a while, but goes away as soon as we start moving.
Any ideas? I can't find anything in the service manual (well, not in the bulletins anyways..)
What can we check?
TCC (torque converter clutch) solenoid. Its in the transmission. Very common problem.

Is it expensive to fix?
On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 15:10:04 GMT, "noname"

The TCC solenoid. was more common in the 3 speed transmissions, the EGR valve was a common problem, which would cause a stall at low speeds ,easy restart, but the TCC would cause a stall immediatelsy upon putting it into gear. Pull the egr off see if it is carboned up around the pintle and seat.

Have you driven a manual transmission? Would you describe the effect just before stalling as the car acting like a bucking bronco? In other words like you pressed to brake on a manual transmission without pushing in the clutch. If yes, probably the TCC solenoid in the transmission, not as common on your tranny but still showing up as they are getting old.
You also need to check the EGR system and passages. A partially open or slow to close EGR valve will cause both the check engine light and a stalling problem.
David