95 Buick ParkAvenue

My red light next to my amp meter on my 95 Buick will come on and stay on or it may flicker off and on. I replaced the Alternator, I have a new battery. They assured me they thought a new alternator would take care of
it. Has anyone any ideas as to what it may be? Before I replaced the alternator I would be driving and it would just shut off. This happened about 3 different times. I would let it sit for about 3 minutes then it would start. It hasn't turned off since I replaced the alternator, but this light has been an ongoing problem. The owners manual says to have it serviced at once or it could effect the battery. But we cannot pinpoint the problem.
confused wrote:

probably could top the price of new battery/alternator if you can't find a used one. If that's what the problem even is though? Then if the rebuilt alternator's amperage-output is below spec just enough to set off the light but charges just enough to keep the battery charged it may be a few artic like days before the new battery fails or shows signs it's failing ie. slowly turning over the motor. Good luck
danil
It may not be the same problem, but it sounds like a recent one I had with my '97 Pk Ave. Turned out to be a defective "module" ($235) that somehow controls how the alternator works. I don't understand the tech part, but I did see that the part was located in the engine compartment against the firewall. Maybe this is a lead.