95 chevy corsica 3.1 litter V6

Threaded View

My tensioner arm wore out Friday and fell off. I replaced it but now
the car will start fine and idle for about a minute then stall. If I
hit the accelerator it will also stall. It acts as if it getting too
much gas the moment the acceleraor is depressed. I'm thinking one of
the sensors is bad but which one? After it has ran for the minute and
stalls it will turn over but dies immediatly and won't start agian
until it has sat for awhile

Re: 95 chevy corsica 3.1 litter V6

When it won't start, test for spark. I suspect your crank sensor or
connecting wire may be the problem....

Re: 95 chevy corsica 3.1 litter V6

I don't know if this is the answer, but I've learned a lot recently
that the W body GM cars around this time had a common problem with the
wire from the crankshaft position sensor to where it plugs into the
harness, going to the control module (control module sits behind the
big black box where all of your spark plug wires end at).  It is
possible the insulation wore off (like mine:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.gm/browse_thread/thread/8d00f130c556e6ba
).

When you're hitting the gas, you're making the engine torque (move a
little). That might be enough to make that wire hit the metal of the
engine or transmission pan.  My understanding that this wire is an
extremely common problem, and wasn't just a coincidence on mine.  Of
course there can be many other things causing this problem, but I just
wanted to point this problem out so that you can have many
opinions/options to consider.  If they worked on your tensioner arm
from the bottom of the car, then it is possible they hit some wires and
repositioned them closer to metal of the car.  There is only like 1/4
inch of play with metal for that crankshaft position sensor wire.  So
if the insulation, or the plastic wire harness connector is wore
off/burned by heat and touches metal occassionaly, from the vibration
of the engine, then it will sure enough cut off.  Mine would more so do
it at idle, but sometimes buck when at other ranges.  If you read my
post at the other link, then maybe you can try to find those wires that
lead to the connectors on the control module (black box with the spark
plugs wires) and grab them and move them, see if it changes the
frequency of the problems.  Moving them from the top of the car may not
make much difference. I found that moving them from the bottom (laying
on ground by passenger front tire) made more of a difference.

Site Timeline