95 chevy lumina starting problems

I have a 95 chevy lumina, i am having problems keeping it started where i gotta keep pushing on the gas to keep it started but lately now its been backfiring smells like rotten eggs....but if i can keep it started it works just fine, but just the other day when i got it started turned the air conditioner on the hole car shut off......when i turned it off & restarted it worked fine.... my friend replaced all the spark plugs & even the air filter, but still having the same problems....i even went & bought fuel system cleaner to help but so far nothing.... then when i tried today to start my car now i cant even keep it started just backfires alot.....i have to keep pushing on the gas to keep it started makes the backfiring noises but it doesnt even wanna stay started at all....any ideas what i can do, i dont have alot of money or i would have taken it to a shop to get fixed by now....these probs started just about 2 weeks ago..... can some one please email me if u got any ideas..... snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Thanks Elizabeth

Reply to
ladyoutlaw619

jrl

Reply to
Shep

Reply to
ladyoutlaw619 via CarKB.com

Reply to
Shep

The fact that it smells like rotten eggs indicates that the catalytic convertor is plugged and thus needs replaced anyway, plus that would likely produce the symptoms it has, such as wanting to die, etc. A reputable muffler shop can test the pressure before and after the catalytic converter to determine if it's plugged or not, usually do this free of charge. If it is plugged and you replace it, the other problems may well disappear.

Reply to
James Goforth