'95 Cutlass Sierra Oldsmobile

Hi,
I have recently found myself with an alternator that is completely dead. I changed the battery, nothing. When the door is open it will give a weak "ting ting" noise, but even the power locks on the door
won't work.
I am trying to get the alternator out of the car. I removed two bolts on the outer passnger side of the car, and removed a bar from a bolt in the back of the alternator. Now I have read that I need to find an idler pulley to loosen the belt so I can remove the alternator.
Can anyone please help me find where this idler pulley is? Or maybe just a suggestion on how to get the alternator out?
I have a 95 Oldsmobile. Cutlass Sierra S. 3.1L 120k miles. Eveything ran good until someone jumped the car wrong. I just want to try and fix it. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks Steph
"Pricklyrose" wrote: 95 Oldsmobile. Cutlass Sierra S. 3.1L 120k miles
...alternator is completely dead.
I changed the battery, nothing. When the door is open it will give a weak "ting ting" noise, but even the power locks on the door won't work.
I am trying to get the alternator out of the car. I need to find an idler pulley to loosen the belt so I can remove the alternator. Can anyone help me find where this idler pulley is?
Eveything ran good until someone jumped the car wrong. I just want to try and fix it. . _________________________________________________
A drive belt will pass through several pulleys, to drive accessories such as alternators, power steering pumps, and AC compressors. There is one extra pulley not attached to any accessory. This is the idler pulley, used to apply the proper tension to the belt. Idler pulley tension must be relieved to allow work on the accessories.
If the bad alternator is disconnected and a good battery is installed, everything should work (until the battery runs down). That wrong jump may have damaged something else.
Ask a friend who has experience to advise you.
Good luck.
In article

The idler pulley is a little below and towards center from the alternator pulley. The idler is mounted to a spring loaded tensioner, the tensioner has a 3/8" square hole in it that will accept a 3/8" breaker bar (or any other 3/8" drive tool), use the breaker bar to unload the spring tensioner.

There is also a plastic clip bolted to the back side of the alternator, the clip secures the power steering lines where they pass over and down, that also needs to be removed. 10 millimeter head size.
Belt routing diagram (if you hadn't noticed) is on a sticker on the plastic guard above the water pump pulley.