95 Grand Am auto trans problem

Hello,
I have a 95 Grand Am with 150,000 miles, 4 cylinder, automatic transmission. It is full of fluid and fluid has been changed a few times over the years.
When I coast it down the long hill from my home to an intersection and stop, I give it the gas and nothing happens, it revs just like its in neutral. If I put it into park then shift back to D it goes again normally. Any idea what the problem is?
Thanks.
Sounds like low fluid check it again running, hot and on level ground, if ok it's internal. "Scott" <homealone.com> wrote in message

-
When you say it is full of fluid, I assume that you did a normal fluid level check as described in the manual?
"Scott" <homealone.com> wrote in message

transmission.
stop,

That does not really answer my question.
I don't mean to sound condescending but this group gets questions from people with little mechanical knowledge and it is important to have good information to solve a problem.
As you may or may not know you can not check an auto trans like you would an engine. Procedure is :, car level, trans at normal operating temperature, engine running, run the gear selector through all gear ranges slowly. Pull the dipstick, wipe, re-insert, remove and read.
Is the color and smell of the fluid good?
I am not up on i-net abbreviations: What does IAW mean?
Once when breaking in new brakes, I made a quick stop. I hit the gas right away and had no engagement of the transmission. I waited a few seconds and it worked normally. I could make this happen at will. I theorized that it was a design to help the car stop faster in a panic stop but could not prove it.
"Scott" <homealone.com> wrote in message

neutral.

You questions are of no help to me. Please refrain from ever answering anytime I post here. I gave plenty of information about the trans and fluid, now go play 20 questions with somebody else.
"Scott" <homealone.com> wrote in message

You can solve that problem by not posting here. Please feel free to get advice elsewhere.
I gave plenty of information

You want us to assume you know what you're talking about. That is often a mistake.
now go play 20 questions with

See ya...not
Dave
"Scott" <homealone.com> wrote in message

Hairy,
You haven't answered a question or offered advice here anyway.
You stupid dick-head. Don't ever post here again.
"Scott" <homealone.com> wrote in message

You apparently already know the answer to your question so why are you asking it in the first place?
I suggest you go somewhere else. Someplace where others possess your higher level of knowledge ...
Forget them other guys. The problem is with the mosser inverter. It can get sticky on there cars. Best way to fix it is next time this happens is to have the car in neutral rev the engine to about 4000 RPM hold it there and put in to drive. You may have to do this several times to clear the inverter.