95 Lumina Brake Light ON

I just changed the intake manifold gasket, put the whole thing back together, and it started right up, no leaks - everything that was disconnect is now reconnected. The "Brake" light on the dash is now on. I did not do
anything to the brakes while it was apart. I was under the impression that the brake light only comes on when the emergency brake was applied. I set that and released it several times, and that had no effect. I have no idea why this light is now on or any idea of what else to do to get it to shut off, short of removing the bulb. That is not going to happen. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Chip
-

their is an electrical coonection at the master cyl. that also operates 'brake' warning lamp....check it....................kjun

I checked that one and it is fine. That one was never removed when I did the engine work.
Chip

Low brake fluid can trigger the light on, as can the emergency brake not being fully disengaged. Take a look at the brake cable and make sure it isn't sticking.

I looked at the swith at the e-brake pedal. It seems to operate properly. I did everything short of removing the switch. No joy there either.
Chip
wrote in message

if brakes operate no0rmaly i would worry about it later............not much later, but later...................kjun
wrote in message

On my last Grand Prix, the e-brake liked to stick. At times, I would have to go out and beat it off with a hammer. At other times, the line was just stuck enough to keep the Brake light on.

I suppose that I make sure that it doesn't affect anything, and I dont see that it does because I've been driving it today. I changed the rotors and brake pads today - the ones that were on there were semi-metalic and they left more black dust on the wheels and hubs than anything I've ever seen. Now it slows and stops smoothly, I'd just feel better if than damn light was off. I'll drive it for tomorrow and check the fluids and move on. Next weekend, I pull the back wheels off and check the e-brakes. Is there another switch apart from the one that's on the e-brake pedal?
I still can't help thinking that there is something under the hood that I'm missing because the light was not on before I changed the intake gasket.
Thanks,
Chip
wrote in message

I honestly can't think of anything you may have missed. Since you say the car operates fine, and stops fine, I wouldn't worry too much about the light, until you get a chance to get those back brakes looked at.

While they seem unrelated, things sometimes get crossed. Follow the circuit to be sure you did not pinch or short a wire. Or plug a sensor in the wrong spot and cross a circuit. Can anything else turn the light on? Like the brake pads worn, cable stretched etc.?
Unplug the park brake wire connector and the switch at the side of the brake fluid reservoir. That should turn it off. The only service manual I have for 95 is the C and H cars. Some of those have a chime module that's in the same circuit.