95 Lumina Tranny

hi all, was taking off from a stoplight today when the car suddenly made an expensive sounding 'thunk' and the car would not move in 'D'. pulled over, placed the car in '1' and began to move, tho with high rpm. was about 2 miles from the house so i shifted from '1' to '2' to 'circle D' until i got there.

car will go in reverse, 1, 2, and circle D, but not in the normal D position; in that position just a revving engine.

is the trans cooked????

95 lumina - 3.1 - 200k miles

any info appreciated pax, h2

Reply to
h2

Shep

It sounds like you have some serious tranny trouble.

I can't be much help, but I can offer some information on what 'circle d' is.

Drive is only necessary if you are driving with a heavy load or are pulling something (yeah, towing with a lumina). Possibly in very hilly conditions or climbing mountains.

Overdrive (circle d) is intended for normal everyday use, and will result in an improvement in fuel economy and reduced engine wear.

GM makes pretty dependable and tough front wheel drive transmissions, but they're not fail-proof. If it drives in overdrive, then drive it that way until you can get it in to a shop.

Wouldn't hurt to check the fluid level either.

Reply to
Olaf

Prepare your bank account/credit card for car repair payment shock.

Reply to
Jonny