95 Lumina Tranny

hi all, was taking off from a stoplight today when the car suddenly made    an expensive sounding 'thunk' and the car would not move in 'D'.
pulled over, placed the car in '1' and began to move, tho with high rpm. was about 2 miles from the house so i shifted from '1' to '2' to 'circle D' until i got there.
car will go in reverse, 1, 2, and circle D, but not in the normal D position; in that position just a revving engine.
is the trans cooked????
95 lumina - 3.1 - 200k miles
any info appreciated pax, h2
If it is full, it's coming out for repairs.

-
It sounds like you have some serious tranny trouble.
I can't be much help, but I can offer some information on what 'circle d' is.
Drive is only necessary if you are driving with a heavy load or are pulling something (yeah, towing with a lumina). Possibly in very hilly conditions or climbing mountains.
Overdrive (circle d) is intended for normal everyday use, and will result in an improvement in fuel economy and reduced engine wear.
GM makes pretty dependable and tough front wheel drive transmissions, but they're not fail-proof. If it drives in overdrive, then drive it that way until you can get it in to a shop.
Wouldn't hurt to check the fluid level either.

Olaf & Shep, thanx for the reply, i made an error in my post; the car will move (tho slowly) in 1,2,&D, but NOT circle 'D'.
the fluid level shows full so i think the tranny is shot, again thanx for the replies...
anyone else care to comment??...
pax, h2

Prepare your bank account/credit card for car repair payment shock.
--
Jonny