95 Olds Aurora with odd fault messages on display

I am having an odd sequence of faults on my car [95000 miles]

While driving the all of the follwing happens within 1-2 seconds and then goes away...

"Traction off" dashboard light either a braking or engine studder sensation "Hot, Stop engine", or "Hot, Turn off AC"

Then all these symptons/lights go away, and the car continues to drive normally. This happens when the ac is off, and the engine has never been hot, or overheated [im sure]

Since this started, I have given the car a full tune-up, and changed the trans oil and filters. It does not do this reqularly, sometimes multiple times per few miles, sometimes not at all for 10's of miles.

No weather, rain, temperature related causes that I can come up with. We liive in florida, so there is no chance of patches of ice...

I know that the car has the ability to pulse the brakes if it thinks the traction is lost, and I know that it has the ability to change the sequence of the firing order to use intake air to cool the engine if its overheated. It happens so quickly that I cannot tell which is causing the shudder. It does not pull to one side.

I have checked the grounds on the cabling near the abs pump and harnesses, and the grounds on the engine, and battery under the seat area.

I have heard that if the abs wheel speed sensor on the bearing goes it can throw the traction off light on, but never heard of it combined with overheat messages.

Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks, Dave

Reply to
dave

How old is your battery?

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Dont know, had the car 2 years now, so at least that old.

I also dont think that the studder is the brakes, today when parking and barely moving it did it while my feet were on the brakes very lightly, and I felt no pulses.

I also had turned the traction control off [experiment] , and it did it anyway.

I will check the battery, and repost the result.

Thanks Dave

Reply to
dave

If the battery appears to be original, that'll likely be the culprit. Have it properly tested anyways, checking connections as well (obviously).

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

I had the battery tested by Advance Auto's tester, and it was good. In my GM service book it says that certain codes will turn traction control off. When it does it a lot in a short time, the temp guage slowly climbs. I am going to replace the coolant temperature sensor, it's only ten bucks. I will post the result.

Thanks, Dave

Steve Mackie wrote:

Reply to
dave

Why would you replace the coolant temperature sensor? Did you properly diagnose the problem and the solution point you to replacing the coolant temperature sensor? Did you look for DTCs?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie