'95 Park Ave... Herky Jerky problem

Page 2 of 2
" Paul " <"=?x-user-defined?Q??= Paul
Ed wrote:

I don't know. I suspect the armature wobbles in the bearings at times. Or the brushes are at the end of their travel. Like you said, you may not get a low reading until the pump acts up. But then you might. If it's under 40 psi, I would probably replace it anyways, considering the year of car. Also, don't forget to check the regulator! It could be the problem. http://www.mightyautoparts.com/library/library_ontheline.html
Paul,
I just put a gauge on the rail. It reads a steady 34 PSI at idle.
So, where's the pressure regulator?
Ed wrote:

On the supercharged, I don't know. On the non-super it's at the other end of the fuel rail. There is a vac hose attached. Vac opens the regulator and allows fuel return to the tank. No vac = closed. Pull the hose off, if there is a strong fuel smell in the reg or hose, the reg is bad. With your fuel psi gauge attached there should be an increase in psi with hose off - from 34 to ~50 or so. 34 would be a bit low for a non-super engine. 44 would be better. You will need to look up the specs for your engine - Chiltons, etc. You could check it off the vehicle by pressuring up and seeing when it opens. I have never heard of these people before but the article is worth reading: http://www.car-stuff.com/buickfuelpump.htm
Another symptom, perhaps related to the herky-jerky thing. Now, after starting the cold engine the RPM oscillates. It first runs up to a little over 2000, then drops down to below 1000. After repeating this a couple times it settles down to the normal cold idle of about 1100. It began doing this after I had fiddled with it a bit. I took the vacuum line off the pressure regulator to smell it and inspect it. There was a faint odor of gasoline. The line looked ok.
Could this be related to the herky-jerky thing?
TIA
Ed
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 20:27:56 GMT, "Ed"

You might want to try to pull any codes that are set. Check here......
http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/ You may be able to pull some out yourself and track them down.
FWIW, my bet goes on TPS.
Ed wrote:

Probably not at idle. It sounds like several things may need maintenance, fixing, or replacing. Do the usual: check TPS, EGR, IAC, O2, MAF, look for vac leaks, and clean the throttle body.