96 Buick - No Hot Start

innews: snipped-for-privacy@y10g2000prc.googlegroups.com)

Actually, I was. Good luck! Ben

Reply to
ben91932

If you were not aware that *all* underhood components are water resistant, you should be. I thought you were reasonably compentent so I made the suggestion. I appologize for doing so.

You should take the vehicle to a qualified mechanic and have it fixed, that is the only solution for your problems. Good luck.

Reply to
PeterD

See it a lot where the regulator diaphragm splits and causes a problem. One other small test would be to pull the vacuum line off the PR and see if you find liquid fuel or a strong odor of fuel. You shouldn't find either but a blown PR will sometimes show up that way.

But given Vic's knowledgeable experience

Reply to
Steve W.

innews: snipped-for-privacy@y10g2000prc.googlegroups.com)

Thanx, but despite my appreciation for some of your past posts, I can't easily escape the notion that each of your three replies on this subject seem to be, in my opinion, text book examples of complete and total non sequiturs.

Reply to
Snuckfoe

Trust me, my track record provides proof positive that I'm significantly more than simply reasonably "compentent" (sic). (A NEMA 1 enclosure is "water resistant" but I certainly wouldn't recommend inundating it with a fireman's hose or suggest its application in other flooding environments) Anyone that would suggest pouring any electrolyte, including water, on to an energized board or circuit CLEARLY is not competent, and for that statement I quite unabashedly do not "appologize"(sic).

You may rest assured in the most certain knowledge and I personally guarantee that, as with every such problem I approach (I can't recall the last time I needed to resort to bringing ANY item to others for repair), I will yet once again successfully effect repairs. However, allow me to thank you nonetheless not only for the no doubt heartfelt good luck wishes but especially for that overall snarky tone in your passive-aggressive response ( and yes, it entertains me no end to give at least as good as I get ;^).

Reply to
Snuckfoe

Thanx again Steve, more good advice. I'll add that to my list of things to follow up on as soon as I can return to it.

Reply to
Snuckfoe

Just WHERE did I say pour water on an energized board? Read the message next time before replying. For an engine bay component, wash or cool down the CASE... The OUTSIDE, don't take the thing apart and soak it! These things are sealed, water on teh case won't hurt them. OK?

OH and if you really must cool the board itself, that is why I recommended a coolant spray. That wasn't hard to understand either!

At least you reply unlike some people who don't. And you can write a reply that can be understood.

Reply to
PeterD

Oh, I doin't know, perhaps "Spray the water on various underhood items, one at a time. If the ECM is underhood spray it too. Spray connectors! Spray wiring harnesses"? What were you proposing, soaking each of these items individually and allowing them enough time to thoroughly air dry before checking to see if the suggested technique had the desired results? And why the sudden umbrage taken when I had already formerly remarked: "But to employ a dipole like water and willy-nilly soak energized underhood electrics sounds (to me) like a perfectly AWFUL recommendation ..." Engine compartments, connectors, wiring harnesses ... are far better sealed now than they were when I was wrenching for a living, but I still wouldn't wash one down without first carefully covering critical vulnerable components, blowing it down, and in some manner thoroughly drying before allowing the engine to be cranked again.

Might I be so bold as to recommend you do the same careful perusing of that which is presented to you prior to taking others remarks to task.

Neither should this comment have been difficult to understand: "Chilling a suspect circuit board or device is an old electronics repairman's trick to diagnose an overheat related issue (I last utilized the method and discovered a faulty vertical deflection IC in a Sony TV). Freon, or a dielectric like Fluorinert is commonly used." I'm hardly reading comprehension challenged nor am I exactly a novice.

I thank you for the courtesy of responding and, where applicable, your gracious offerings of assistance as well. ;^)

Reply to
Snuckfoe

So where does that say disassemble and spray the actual board? NOWHERE!

Spray the frickin boxes.

Nothing under the hood should be affected by water normally. Look at what goes on when driven in the rain.

Oh?

Your comments, and thoughts are nonsensical, though well written.

OK, if your car is that fragile under the hood, use the 'freon' coolant can there too... Regardless, that will show what is up.

FWIW, my company builds those underhood electronic components, and yes, they can be sprayed with water without any bad effects.

Reply to
PeterD

So where did I state that you said "disassemble and spray the actual board"? NOWHERE! Your argument reminds me of the accused, after being charged with being fat, ugly and stupid, responds with the defense: "I'm not that overweight!"

And, I quote, " ... various underhood items, one at a time. If the ECM is underhood spray it too. Spray connectors! Spray wiring harnesses..."

Once again you proudly display your abject ignorance. DO look at what goes on when driven in the rain,.and the astute observer will notice just how surprsingly and relatively dry the underhood (behind the radiator) electrics remain. Burst a coolant hose though and notice how quickly the engine begins to stumble, even prior to any overheating.

If you say so. How might a mere mortal such as myself possbily contest or dispute such a devastatingly delineated, fact filled, well referenced and reasoned rebuttal as that?

Let's suppose for a moment that the problem results from a failed discreet device or an open circuit or that the cause of the issue is not in fact electrical but mechanical. No amount of pouring water on anything would pinpoint isolate or begin to definitively locate the general area as the cause for any of those maladies

It's worth is actually how well it showcases your novice inexperience. Application and sight unseen you advise others that they can safely go ahead and hose down the engine compartments in their used car, while its running no less, and be assured of no ill consequences. Laughable!

Given that "your company" manufactures and contractually warrants in perpetuity each underhood electrical device in every 3.8L NA, '96 Buick (including aftermarket replacement parts) against moisture related failures, I can readily recognize how you might make such a bold claim

You are of course aware that one of the more expensive costs incurred in repairing a flood damaged car, and a primary reason for an insurance company to total it, is the replacement of electrical components and harnesses.

But have you ever actually worked on a car? Toiled under the hood? So much as looked under the hood? In fact, how many fingers am I holding up? ;^)

Reply to
Snuckfoe

Obviously either a fuel delivery or fuel supply problem.

You need to test the fuel pressure when the failure occurs. it's possible based on your description that the fuel pump is failing as it heats up.

Injector signal, the injectors are easy to get to, you can connect a test light across a few of them to see if injector pulse is being lost.

Use a stethoscope to listen to the injectors, do you hear them click?

If the failure pattern is as repeatable as you state, it shouldn't take more than a half hour to track it down.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Yes, I'm considered a good mechanic... No, I don't work on cars commercially. Yes, I'm done. You don't get it, so that's life.

Good luck with your car, I hope you get it fixed some day.

Reply to
PeterD

Given some of the statements you've made and approaches you've suggested, I can't begin to imagine by whom.

And no doubt never have. Prior to earning my engineering degree nearly 30 years ago, I made a living at the discipline.

Oh I much more than simply 'get it'. But while it could hardly be more conspicuous that one of us quite clearly doesn't, I'm rather confident that it isn't yours truly.

Thanx, and regarding its successful repair upon the next occasion of my return to the project (it isn't my vehicle), as 'Baretta' used to say, "you can take that to the bank".

Reply to
Snuckfoe

Wow... I've read this thread through and 3 things come to mind:

1 If me or countless others on this group had spent as much time diagnosing that car as you have spent at the keyboard the car would be fixed several times over. 2 Does it rain in your world? 3 I quick re-read of 'How to win friends and influence people' may serve you well.

Once again, Good Luck!

Ben

Reply to
ben91932

It's helpful to include the attributes and the appropriate sections of text in a reply, so others understand who you are responding to, and what specific comment.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Were you not so tragically comprehension challenged, you would again have had the opportunity (which you also so miserably formerly squandered) and might have learned (providing you the benefit of the doubt that such an unlikelihood could be possible) that each of the germane issues you "broach" has already been addressed in previous posts by others and myself

But given that you seem to exhibit all the earmarks of someone fit to neither carry my briefcase, nor get it off the ground with the aid of a gantry crane, master operator and audio/visual instructions in every known language, I can fully understand the source of and reason for your hapless confusion

In any case the probability of you effecting repairs (seeing that you clearly haven't the slightest inkling of the nature of the problem, or anything else for that matter) expressed as a ratio of polynomials, might well be described as the reciprocal of infinity.

Your input has yet again proved to be worthless in toto; let me guess, you've heard that before and it is in fact the story of your life. I expect your next risible inquiry will likely be: "what year, make and model are you working on?". However don't allow any of the foregoing to in any manner dissuade you from again responding as you are oddly amusing.

PS I would have considered the previous 2 minutes reading your post and composing this one, to be another complete waste of my precious time that I'll never get back. But as with each of your hopelessly addled replies to date, I'll simply instead attribute such periods as one of the costs of entertainment.

Reply to
Snuckfoe

Good luck and Godspeed my friend!

Reply to
ben91932

If the OP had as much skill at fixing cars as he has at sniping at those who try to help him, the car would have been fixed long ago too...

Sadly, he was a troll, not worth the time anymore.

Reply to
PeterD

It's neither my car nor do I have easy access, that much time to devote to it or anyone to assist me if and when that need should arise .Thank for your reply and advice.

Reply to
Snuckfoe

A clearly cynical, religious hypocrite implicitly subscribing to and espousing a belief in fables and children's fairy tales. How truly precious. I somehow knew that you too would be good for at least one more (and hopefully not your last) if not an unrestrained guffaw,.then surely a healthy chortle.

Reply to
Snuckfoe