96 Buick park ave

Hi I bought 4 new tire had them balanced & front end aligned but ay 70 MPH it still shimmys any help Thanks JimH

Reply to
lajim1030

Shep

We see this so much, both on here and in everyday practice. Sometimes, it's something else; but so often it is tires out-of-round. Ie., you can run a metal rod thru the center of a 4-sided(6-sided if you count all surfaces?)box, mount it on a tire-balance machine, and balance it perfectly, yet it will not ride smooth if mounted as a tire! And, yes, it can happen with ANY brand. HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

If it's front end, adding a bit of tow-in might reveal some wear not spotted by the person who did the alignment. If you do this, rotate tires frequently to equalize the added wear.

If it's tires, shoot for a replacement by the dealer. If that can't be managed ask if they do 'tire matching' This is an older process -- involves shaving some rubber from the shoulders of each tire in spots where the carcass is stiffer; then, rebalance. Might smooth things out.

Reply to
PJ

We call it "truing" the tires. Makes a world of diff. when tires are out-of-round. s

Reply to
sdlomi2