96 camaro electrical problem

Trying to help a friend, she has a 1996 camaro, when you try to turn the ignition key it seems locked, I finally freed the key by turning the wheel back and forth seems to be the steering lock broke. But when you turn the
key all the power cuts out, no lights no horn even and of course it will not turn over even when jumping it. Any ideas? Thanks
Try another key, a worn key may not work right. The ignition switch could be faulty. Suspect grounds on a Chevy "Like a rock " uses a crappy jumper wire. When it fails "like a rock" becomes as cold as one.

That's a real problem child. especially if the tilt mech gets itself involved with the actuator rod that operates the actual switch part of the whole abortion. That switch is column mounted, usually top and left, and can slip its moorings when alot of force is applied from the top, or just over time from the vibrations. My bet is you'll see that it has moved down and away from the rod. Just match upthe areas that were covered before and tighten the two 5/16 hex head fasteners. There might be 3, but I can't remember everything from what's now a former occupation.
Jack