96 Cavalier strange noise

A few months ago we had the water pump replaced on my daughters car. The engine has since developed a distinct, loud sound like a helicopter. It appears to be coming from the water pump area, the car is not moving.
My experience with pumps is bad bearings,screeching or leaking, never this sound. Sometimes it lasts only about 5 seconds then disappears, making it hard to trace. We will take it back to the dealer if the pump is bad as it is under warranty, but will go somewhere else if it is not the pump, as we got soaked by them a few times already.. Any ideas? Rick
If you can put a socket extention or other type of listening device agains't the water pump housing you can better pin point if it is the pump making the noise. Just be careful of getting tangled up with the belt.
Another way is remove the belt & spin all the pulleys, any drag or movement could indicate a bad bearing. Might also be possible the noise is from the impellar hitting the housing.
You could also try losening the belt tensioner as the motor is running, again be careful you don't slip, If the noise changes pitch or disappears you'll know what ever the noise is, its something belt driven.
Good Luck.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~293,100 miles_~_~_

Ok someone please explain to me how that works? does the socket extension just act as something for the pump to vibrate off of, like a stethscope??

96 cav should have a spring tensioner...
Paradox wrote:

Yup, pretty much the same principle as a stethoscope. Sound energy travels easier through solids, and a socket extension or a large, long screwdriver will allow the sound to travel through the metal and act almost as if you were putting your ear up to the pump (which is not a safe thing to do, by the way). :)
--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Thanks for the suggestions, but the noise doesnt last that long . Rick