96 Chevrolet Beretta dies on starting

I have a 96 Beretta, and recently it has been dying when I start it up. To get it to work, I need to give it some gas as soon as it starts in order to get around this. Once it is started it runs fine,
itís just that one time on the start up. When I start the car it starts, immediately revving, then before it goes into the normal idle it goes down a bit, this is the point where if itís going to die out it will. So it revs high on the start, low(er) right after, and then raises up into normal idle. Itís this middle part where I need to hit the gas to get it going, but once I do there are no problems. I already put Heet into the car, and now it is doing it more frequently. It started doing this when it was cold out, probably about a month ago, when it was in the twenties. However, it did it again to me today and it was sixty out. I do have an exhaust leak somewhere in the car (hopefully just the muffler) and I am wondering if various oxygen sensors and this leak could have something to do with it. And another thing: it is not consistent. Sometimes it will start and other times (becoming more frequent) I need to rev it right at the start.
Any input would be appreciated...
Thanks
‚úĖ
On 1/9/06 12:39 AM, in article 735752 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com, "slewando123"

New air filter, fuel filter, maybe spark plugs, fix the exhaust, and unhook the battery for a couple hours. Then start it and let it idle.. This works sometimes, especially the air filter.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ