96 Chevy Cavalier - white gunk on dipstick - head gasket?

Ok here is the deal... I had an extrnal head gasket leak on this car a month ago and had a friend change the head gasket everything was fine. I put about 700 miles on the car in 3 weeks or so with no problems. The car sat for a week without being run. I took it about 70 miles on the highway (it has never gotten hot after the gasket change) when I took it out the next day I noticed it was running ruff at idle and low speeds but fine at high speeds. I figured it was just the fuel filter or bad gas maybe. well today I checked my oil and noticed a white greese like goop on the top of the dip stick and a little in the neck of the oil filler tube (but only at the very top). do I now have an internal leak in my head gasket? I have not lost any coolent. could something else cause this white goop? how can I test? I don't mind doing the work myself and feel confident that I can. just need to be put in the right direction...

thanks in advance Jim

Reply to
jimbradley

When he replaced the head gasket did they replace the bolts and other items necessary. The head bolts stretch and cannot be reused. Is the radiator full? How does the oil look. You need the computer interrigated with an OBDII tester to determine what is happening. I had the same thing on my 96 Cav this summer. started leaking in the front driver side, a common problem in the 2.2.

Reply to
Woody

the bolts were replaced and I seem not to be leaking coolant. The oil seems ok, I am going to change it tomorrow to be sure.

Reply to
jimbradley

Was the oil changed after the gasket change?

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

change you oil and just keep a eye on your anifreeze some time thay will do that in high hummity

Reply to
jshammer