96 Chevy PU Rear Drum Brakes

It feels like the right rear is dragging sometimes when I put on the brakes, usually when the truck is hot and has been driven for a while. I pulled the drums off and the brake shoes are still good, but worn
substantially more at the top (where wheel cylinder is), and show signs of not even touching the drum at the bottom. Is this bad adjustment, or warped drums, or "normal"?
Thanks, Libby

Also, ensure they are in correct orientation, as some shoe-sets come with one shoe shorter than the other. Don't remember whether short one goes in front or rear--whoever machines the drums should know. s
smaller lining to the ft.

-
I put a dial indicator on the drum that is giving trouble and it has runout (out of round) of .030. Could this cause it? The brakes shoes are put on correctly, secondary and primary.

only on top, that indicates they were probably run without their being adjusted out properly. When replacing/turning, be sure new shoes are adjusted properly. Caution PLUS my idea: adjust them *almost tight enough* and drive it approx 100 miles. Then readjust properly. s
Ok, bet I got it figured out. The self adjusters have not been working. Consequently the pads are not expanded down at the bottom to contact the drum. Thus, no wear on the pads except at the top where the wheel cylinders are. I need to either manually adjust the brakes or persuade the self-adjusters to start working.
What do you guys think, is this plausible? And with .030 and .014 runout respectively, should the drums be turned?
Thanks, Libby