96 Corsica (3.1L)Tensioner

I have a bad pulley on a '96 Corsica tensioner. I see that I can replace the pulley, but can it be done without removing the tensioner? It looks
like the pulley has spun out of the bearing. I can't see down in there very well, and I can't see a bolt to remove the pulley so it's either hidden from view right now, or on the back side of the tensioner. If it is on the back side, I don't see any way of replacing it without pulling the tensioner which may mean pulling out the motor mount and/or water pump first just to get a damn wrench on it. If I have to do all of that it makes more sense just to replace the whole assembly.
Does anyone have any experience with this? The same tensioner seems to fit a number of 3.1L GM autos.
Thanks.
Take the vehicle to your favorite garage and get a free estimate. You may find they have the right tools and your repair won't be as expensive as you think. This type of repair can be "a knuckle buster".
Blue wrote:

I would consider that, but I'm nearly 50 miles from the city and the tow may be more than the repair. The belt is off, so there's no possibility of driving it there, and I don't want to drag it there because I'd have to have my wife brake the Corsica and I don't want to replace the bumper on my avalanche :)

Blue wrote:

Yes you can replace just the pulley, not in the vehicle though, BUT if that is the original tensioner assembly you would be better served to replace the entire tensioner. You will spend about 30 dollars more but you will get a new pulley and new tension spring as well. Also some of the tensioners used a left hand threaded bolt for the pulley. I don't remember off hand if yours is one though, sorry. The tensioner isn't hard to remove itself, one bolt through the center is all that holds it. Jack up the right front, pull the tire off then remove the splash cover from the wheel housing. Use a box end wrench to remove the bolt and drop the tensioner down to the left to remove it. While you are there make sure the belt didn't do any damage to the wiring to the crankshaft position sensor.
--
Steve W.

Thank you Steve,
That sounds much better than fighting the motor mount and still being short on room. I'm sure it's the original so I will plan on replacing it all. It looks like there's no way to get a new belt in there without pulling the motor mount out too, but that should be easy enough once the car is back on the ground. Sometimes I wish we still used horses...... except when it rains, or snows, or it's too hot or too cold, or windy, ha-ha. I guess I love cars after all.
Thanks!

Thank you Steve!
It took longer to take off the tire than it did to replace the tensioner. When I pulled off the tire and splash guard, the tensioner was right in front of me. Half an hour and $48!