96 Grand AM Oil Gauge

Good Morning Group!
I noticed a problem with the wife's 96 Grand Am last night. The oil gauge is not registering any pressure at all. It bounces up and
down a little bit after start up, but does not really measure any pressure. The engine is full of oil as we checked the dipstick. Car is running fine. The oil light is not on nor are any of the "idiot" lights. I think it might be a sensor, or maybe a switch, or maybe an electrical problem. I had a similar problem with a Firebird years ago that had the "check engine" light on for years, as no mechanics could figure out what the problem was. It was chalked up to computer problems that might be more expensive to fix than it was worth. Any ideas? Thank you to all who reply!!!
JB
Probably the oil pressure sending switch ( I hope ) that is malfunctioning. Either bad or wire off or dirty. They are usually on the lower block somewhere. On 6 May 2004 06:07:43 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RoryBellows) wrote:

It could be the sending unit for the gauge is bad. A bad wire, or contact. It could even be a bad gauge.
I would locate the sender, and look for corrosion on the wire. Check the wire first. If nothing out of the ordinary is found, I would just spend the $30 for a new sender. Charles

Take a good look at the sender, mine went out and leaked most of the oil out on the ground in a short distance.