96 Impala SS Odometer Fades out on and off

Considering buying a used 96 Impala SS and the only real problem I found with the car was the Odometer fades to black then pops back on with a life of it's own....

I did find a fix kit online for it I guess it's a common problem with those SS's yet I wondered when that odometer goes to black does it STOP recording the mileage?

If so then the actual mileage might be higher, or is that just some sort of light issue (keeps recording miles even when we can't view it).

I test drove the car for a bit but during that time the light seemed to stay on fine for me (so I couldn't tell if it was saving miles) the seller said it comes and goes like that, yet he was pretty sure it did still keep mileage when off (but that he didn't pay alot of attention to it).

This is my only hesitation on buying this car, seems to look and run very well, just was hoping for a bit of input on that from some out here who may know

How much should I expect to pay to have this fixed from a dealer (or i might buy the fix kit online and do it) - I can solder btw

& most important, when an odometer light goes on and off like this, does it STOP recording the MILEAGE during the off times?

Thanks for all input,

Bill :) BillAustin at commmmcast dot net

Reply to
Bill

wp23

I have the same problem, and the mileage continues to record when it fades out.

I have not asked the dealer how much to fix the problem. My guess is they would just replace the part, and in the future the same problem would arise.

I do have the online fix that I purchased from the ImpalaSuperStore, but I have not installed it yet.

Wooly

Reply to
Wooly