96 MONTE CARLO HIGH PITCHED INERMITTENT WHINE REAR OF CAR ??

It sounds like a high pitch whine at highway speeds, intermittent, from rear of car, sounds like from the inside.....any thoughts? Thanks.

Axle bearing, transmission whine, tires, etc. Does it do it when coasting or just under power?
snipped-for-privacy@peoplepc.com wrote:

Not a whole lot of moving parts at the rear of the car. Tire & hub bearing. Thats about it.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this? What was done to fix it? Thanks again.

First we found the cause. In my case, it was the transmission. Never fixed it, but I did drive it another 100,000 miles.

going with over 100K miles. s