96 olds acheiva NO START dtc p1601 and p1629 HELP!!!!

Hello .. I have a 96 olds acheiva sl 2.4 and some time you will go to start and it will do a bulb check and start and others there will be no bulb check and it will not start. I have checked the ignition b+ and

12volt constant to the cluster and it is always there, check serial data voltage from pcm and always there. The only codes were history codes of P1601 and P1629. When the car starts it runs fine, no theft light, no check engine light. The dealer has replaced the ignition switch twice and no one can figure this out.

Thanks Mike

Reply to
gmule420

I do not see the existence of a P1629 code, did you miss type? The only one in the 1600s is P1601, which should give them a good place to start. The P1601 sets when the PCM does not receive 25 valid responses from the cluster.

Anyway, if it's intermittent and there is no precedent, it'll be hard to find the cause. You could check the connectors and grounds to the cluster and the PCM, but I'm sure the dealer did this.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Hey steve... a P1629 is Theft Deterrent Fuel Enable Signal Not Received (Passkey Frequency Invalid)

However they were both history codes. So far it has started every time today and no problems.. all the wiring looks to be good and i checked the cluster grounds and they were good. What do you mean by no precedent? The only starge thing i found was someone hacked in a power lock module which i removed and repaired the three wires it was contacting. I tryed to test for voltage from the pass lock at the cluster connector and there was no reference and no voltage but the cluster was unplugged.

Thanks for your help.. Mike

Reply to
gmule420

ALLData makes no mention of it, I'll make a mental note of that.

Hrm, someone hacked the wiring eh? That sounds like a good lead. How long ago was this repaired? Was the repair done 'professionally?' (soldered and sealed) Was there any evidence under/behind the dash of other things that were 'hacked?'

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Nothing behind the dash I found it yesterday.. there were only three wires attached and they were just wraped so i soldered and heat shirnked them.

Reply to
gmule420