96 Sonoma 4,3L csfi won't start

Hi, I have a 96 sonoma 4.3l with csfi. It cranks but won't start. I've checked fuel pressure 60lbs, timing tdc and rotor button are lined up on number 1, has spark on several cycinders, and checked a few sensors for 5 volts. Even tried to get it to run by spraying starting fluid at the air intake while cranking it. Could the csfi system poppet valves need replaced. Anyone had this problem? Thanks Rick

Reply to
Rickabuddy

crank sensor?

Reply to
Tj

Would the plugs fire with the crank sensor bad? The sensor measures correct with a ohm meter. That's not to say it's pulsing the PCM!

Reply to
Rickabuddy

I don't think so.

GW

The sensor measures correct

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

First have you checked for spark at all 6 spark plugs? which means pulling the wires from the plugs and looking for spark to arc?

Have you checked that you coil is putting out the correct injector pulses?

Give us a list of what YOU haved tested and how you tested each item. Then people on here can respond with a bit less guessing. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Ok here's what I've done.

1.Checked fuel pressure 60psi 2.Has spark on #1 and 2 cycinders wires with a extra plug grounded.
  1. Ohmed out the crank sensor compared to haynes manual and was ok.
4.Replaced spark plugs gaped 60 thousands. 5.Replaced fuel filter. 6.Looked at computer errors found low reading for the map sensor but don't think that would not let it start. 7.Tried cranking with sraying starting fluid at the air intake with throttle wide open ( wouldn't try to fire). With all this I assume,either the csfi system or the PCM must have a problem, I wish I had a spare PCM to plug on it and might try local scrap yards. I know it has a fuel regulator and injectors and I going to take the csfi apart to look it over. Either of these are expensive just to guess at. That's why I posted here to see if anyone has had this problem, Is there a way to see if the injectors are getting pulsed? By the way this happened suddenly just quit running (dead).
Reply to
Rickabuddy

Reply to
David J and Lynne J Shepherd

There is a three wire plug:

It goes through the plenum, I forget the wire colors to back probe. But, that's where you test for injector pulses. It sounds to me, since you used silly juice, and it still didn't start.

You have something more sinister than a fuel delivery problem. Have you checked for timing chain alignment> Check that, and also check compression and for uniformity between cylinders.

Then get back to us. Because with spark and silly juice, it should have fired for atleast a few seconds!

I hope this helps?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Six injectors, two wires per injector= 12 wires going into the plenum. The wires are laid out in to rows of six, like this:

o o 6o o5

o o 4o o3

o o 2o o1 (front)

Pick any pair of wires and use a noid light or a 12 volt automotive test light to see if the PCM is commanding an injector pulse.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

We checked the timing second mark to the rotor button and it was pointing to number one electrode in the dist cap. Also to get the timing marks lined up we took number one plug out and with finger in the hole cranked the engine over until compression pushed out. WE haven't measured actual pounds of compression but it appears at least the crank and cam are connected. Also the rotor rotates when cranked. Next thing I'll try is measuring the amount of kv on the plug wires and see if the PCM is pulsing the injectors. Thanks for the ideas.

Reply to
Rickabuddy

ALSO TRY THE IGNITION COIL. IF NOT ,CHECK UNDER FRAME AND INSIDE FUEL CEL FUEL PUMP.

Thank-you, Don

Reply to
DONALD M., Jr. WHITTED