97 Astro fuel pressure drops when fuel pump stops

I have a 1997 Chevy Astro Van 2WD 4.3L with 111K miles. It was starting hard (2-3 long cranks to get it to start). I suspected the fuel pump (that was the problem the last two times it acted like
this). I checked the pressure and, when you turned the key, it would slowly make it to the 55-60 psi range. However, it wouldn't not stay there. It would drop down to 0 once the pump stopped running. I figured that was a problem with the pump so I replaced it (it was still under warranty so that was the cheapest solution). With the new pump, when you turn the key it shoots right up to 60 psi but still won't hold that pressure. It starts a little easier (usually by the second crank) and the pressure is pretty steady when the van is running. I thought that, after the pump shut off, the pressure should stay up for a period of time. Is that correct? If so, what, besides the pump could be causing this problem? The fuel injector pressure regulator possibly? Anything else? Is there a way to check for sure if the regulator is causing the problem?
Thanks for you help
ngpost1
The cpi injector is leaking the fuel into the intake manifold. So it gets flooded.

ngpost1 wrote:

I seem to recall that the filter on this guy is supposed to have a check valve in it to keep the fuel from bleeding back into the tank. You might want to check that.
Mark Sparge
-----= Posted via Newsfeed.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----
There is also supposed to be a pulsator designed to reduce the noise of the pump...It goes on top of the pump in the sending unit..These are known for tearing and causing the condition you have described..If the seal on the pulsator is orange..It is either junk, or it will be..the new ones are black rubber..... you can verify by pinching the feed line just as the pump shuts off... If it doesn't drop until you release the line then the poulsator is junk..if it still drops with the line pinched, then the problem is likely to be the pressure regulator leaking internal in the intake...It is attached to the injector assembly and is serviced at the dealer by changing the whole unit... there are aftermarket suppliers of just the regulator, I havn't used one myself because the cost of the repair kit is about the same as dealer.. hope that helps ya Tom