97 astro van rear door conversion

Currently have "dutch doors " ,want to install "barn doors" . anybody have any info as to whether this is dooable? if you?ve done it, what is involved? Thanks

Reply to
trailaman

Sure it's dooable. Remember the old woodies? They had real wood on them. Remove the old doors, but save them just in cast this doesn't work to your satisfaction. Check the curb for an old refrigerator box. Slice the box so you have a large piece that you can use as a template. Place it against the opening and mark with a permanent marker. Cut the template and trim to perfection. Make a cut down the middle. Now use the template to construct doors out of wood. I suppose you could use sheet metal if you were not too concerned with the wood look. Be sure to make it strong as this is going to get lots of use as you demonstrate it to friends. Hinges are available at HD just a few aisles from the wood. Buy the best as you don't want this to rust and look shabby. Please post pictures of the progress.

Reply to
itsallgood

"itsallgood" wrote: > Sure it's dooable. Remember the old woodies? They had real > wood on > them. > Remove the old doors, but save them just in cast this doesn't > work to > your satisfaction. > Check the curb for an old refrigerator box. Slice the box so > you have a > large piece that you can use as a template. Place it against > the > opening and mark with a permanent marker. Cut the template and > trim to > perfection. Make a cut down the middle. Now use the template > to > construct doors out of wood. I suppose you could use sheet > metal if you > were not too concerned with the wood look. Be sure to make it > strong as > this is going to get lots of use as you demonstrate it to > friends. > Hinges are available at HD just a few aisles from the wood. > Buy the > best as you don't want this to rust and look shabby. Please > post > pictures of the progress.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately there is some misunderstanding here!! By "Barn doors", I am referring to the style of door as opposed to the "Dutch Door " setup I currently have. The barn door style is the most common type, consisting of two full size doors, left and right, metal construction, equipped as such from the factory. What I want to do is swap out the factory dutch doors with factory barn doors!!

Reply to
trailaman

I thought it was funny!

Vuarra

Vuarra

Go to

It has alll the info you could want about thease vehicles and if you post a question you will likely get a real answer from those folks. Usually people want to get rid of the barn doors and put in the dutchh doors. my first safari had barn doors my currentone has the dutch doors and Iwould want to go back to the barn doors.

Reply to
mp

"mp2" wrote: > Go to

It has alll the info you > could want > about thease vehicles and if you post a question you will > likely get a > real answer from those folks. Usually people want to get rid > of the barn > doors and put in the dutchh doors. my first safari had barn > doors my > currentone has the dutch doors and Iwould want to go back to > the barn doors.

Thanks for pointing me to the Astro site!! much appreciated.

Reply to
trailaman