97 Blazer won't start

97 Blazer, 4.3L, 6cyl, 2WD with 150K miles. Had to replace the fuel-pump this weekend. I was successful with that but the blasted car still won't start. I have spraying starting-fluid into the
throttle-body and even poured a bit of gas--no go. It will sometimes "catch" once but it's like it doesn't have enough oomph to make through the next revolution (if that makes sense).
I'm now wondering if maybe I have developed a timing issue (jumped time?) as the car was sputtering and starving for gas before it died. Went looking for a timing mark but can only see a notch on the drive-pulley, nothing on the crankcase to indicate TDC.
Anybody have any ideas, thoughts suggestions (other than sell car....)???
Bill
Bill,
Do you have spark? (Put a timing light on the plugs and check for spark). Is your coil & dist & rotor ok?
-Mike-

Yup...it almost will start but not quite. My brother-in-law, who used to be a mechanic, thinks that it may be a combination of fouled-plugs and jumped time.
Bill

It could be, but I would check the easy stuff first...Is the IAC valve stuck?
If you want to check a plug, remove the #1 cyl plug so that you can also align TDC and mark your balancer. Mike

Is that how TDC is marked...remove the plug, rotate engine until TDC and then mark the location of the pulley/balancer? Man...I didn't know engine technology had evolved that far 8-)
Bill
You need to make sure the #1 piston is on the compression stroke once it reaches TDC ...Pull the distributor cap off and make sure the rotor is pointing in the direction of the #1 cylinder...Then check your mark ..If the timing slipped your mark will be off...If your mark is off then you move your distributor untill it hits on the base timing mark....If you try to set it by using just your mark and the #1 cylinder as stated youll never get it in time... Steve C Re: 97 Blazer won't start Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Fri, Feb 13, 2004, 3:47am (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@charter.net (BillWeissborn)
It could be, but I would check the easy stuff first...Is the IAC valve stuck? If you want to check a plug, remove the #1 cyl plug so that you can also align TDC and mark your balancer. Mike Is that how TDC is marked...remove the plug, rotate engine until TDC and then mark the location of the pulley/balancer? Man...I didn't know engine technology had evolved that far 8-) Bill

Did you replace the Fuel Filter? Have you checked the fuel pressure at the fuel rail? You should also check for Injector pulse. After that if you find the fuel system is working properly, then check the timing. Charles