97 Buick LeSabre 3.8 problems. Mechanics can't find the problem

I recently bought a 97 LeSabre 3.8. The car has numerous problems. 1. It dies when letting off of the accelerator and idles rough at start up (have changed fuel filter, plugs and wires, maximum airflow sensor,
and idle air control valve) still not fixed 2. It jerks hard around 50 mph 3. High pitched squeal under the hood 4. Even with ac fully charged the ac blows luke warm air
I've now had it to 6 mechanics and keep throwing money at this car but even the mechanics scratch their head and say "we can't find the problems". I'm most concerned with the dying and jerking. I can live with the squeal and lack of ac but I need it to run! Does anyone know of common problems associated with these 3.8 Buick engines that might be the culprit? I would GREATLY appreciate any info.
Thanks all!
gimpy wrote:

My first guess is intake manifold leak. If so, then you had better check for water in the oil. 6 mechs? You area of the world must have really, really incompetent techs. Either that or you have not taken it to a GM dealer.
Paul wrote:

Check the EGR valve for the stalling at idle.
" Paul " <"=?x-user-defined?Q??= Paul

intake and vacuum hoses. When it speeds up (most likely when intake gets a squirt of WD40) you know where the vac. leak is. Again, probably the intake man. leaking--quite common problem, and usually one of the few problems with this 3800 engine. Then, find the squeal problem, which is likely related to the ac, like having too much freon in the system. Luck, s

Or the AC compressor and or clutch is not working properly.
Yes incompetency in this area seems to be the descriptor for local technicians. The GM dealership kept the car for 11 days! Their repairs based on what I described in the initial post: changed ac compressor (still blowing warm air though) and changed brake pads without me saying anything about brakes?! Of course I paid nothing for the brakes. The ac still doesn't work and I never mentioned brakes so...after quite an argument I paid for the compressor and left with a car that still won't run.
I was really frustrated that the GM techs didn't fix the car or even find the problems. I'll suggest all of the info I've received here to another tech as I'm no mechanic and would not know where to begin. But thanks for all of the input.
gimpy wrote:

That engine is in Buick, Olds, Pontiac. Could you take it to a different GM place? Or someone that works on a lot of GM's? Google for GM 3.8 intake manifold leak

His experience doesn't seem to validate your confidence in dealerships, does it, Paul.
Get this- I located recall information online about the upper intake manifold on this vehicle. Even the recall letter from GM to customers was included in the report. When I called GM hq they said no recall existed. I emailed the report then got a return call. "Uh well...this recall must have expired. The only way they won;t expire is if there is a safety related issue." But in the report it states that this defect can cause engine compartment fires and verbatim is a safety issue. I have the vehicle's entire service history and it was never taken care of. I know it's a 10-year old recall but I've only had the car a little more than a month. Only one previous owner.
Just seems to me that out of concern for human safety due to an error on their part they would honor the recall but evidently not the case. Took it to another dealership. Guess I'll flip the bill when or if they find the problem. snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

Get this- I located recall information online about the upper intake manifold on this vehicle. Even the recall letter from GM to customers was included in the report. When I called GM hq they said no recall existed.
For the fuel injection plenum situation, there is no recall as far as I know, because they don't consider it a safety item.
If it happens under warranty, they will probably fix it. Otherwise, you will probably pay to have it fixed.
Basically they are saying "You are stupid enough to have bought one of our shitteaux designs, you live with it!"

Something's not adding up here...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Sounds like you should not have paid for the compressor either. No work -- no pay. Could be something as simple as a damper stuck or vacuum leak. Dealers are good in that they know their particular cars very well, but they have idiots too. My 91 Regal had AC problem. After the fourth time in, I told the dealer what the real problem was, His reply was "the evap coils never go bad or leak". Well, you can figure the rest. They did the $400 repair at no cots.