97 Buick Pk Ave transmission problem?

I've noticed in the last few weeks a sort of hiccup when the transmission shifts, both up and down. I can feel it rather than hear it. Seems to hesitate for a fraction of a second before it engages.

I am wondering what this might be telling me, and hoping it can be corrected without resorting to an expensive rebuilding job.

Any comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Marty

Reply to
Marrtin

Since my first post I stopped by a transmission shop and asked if they could do some preliminary diagnostics and tell me what they could do short of a rebuilding job. After 40 minutes up on lift, during which I saw 2 guys walk under, look up, and proceed to the john, the mgr said it looked like it probably would need to be rebuilt. Maybe $900-1200.!! How did he come up with that?

Now more than ever I wish someone who knows about these things would tell me what kind of diagnostic stuff can be done, and where? By the dealer, any garage repair shop, or? What can I expect in cost for that? What would a normal transmission service do? I've heard that sometimes that's all that's needed.

Thanks for any and all ideas.

Marty

Reply to
Marrtin
  1. How many miles on the car?

  1. How often was the transmission oil & filter changed since 1997.

  2. Are you the original owner of the vehicle?

Your cars transmission is electronic and not controled by hydraulic pressure. There are many electronic solenoids inside the transmissions on todays car. So guessing what the problem is is kind of hard these days. It might just need a new solenoid.

You could have the trans oil & filter changed and drive the car for a few weeks and see if it acts the same way. This is your least expensive option right now.

Ask your coworkers, drinking buddy's, or neighbors of a reputable shop they may know of & trust.

Good Luck

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~297,024 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

61000

Never. Was never suggested when I had the car serviced.

Yes.

That's what I'm going to do. The local Buick dealer says they will flush it, not just drain and refill.

Thanks for the reply

Reply to
Marrtin