97 Cavalier Fuel Filter Problem

I'm trying to get the quick-disconnect end of the fuel filter to release. The car has 85,000 miles on it and the filter has never been replaced. The plastic of the disconnect is brittle and broken. Is there any way to get this apart other than to buy the piece of fuel line going to this end of the filter and having to drop the fuel tank to replace it?

Reply to
James McCreary

That piece you need can individually be purchased at GM parts or Autozone........

Reply to
BushmanBro

I'm wondering if you have the same problem I ran into. The first time the fuel filter was replaced on a '99 Cavalier the quick-release didn't release at all, and eventually got chewed up. I had to use needle nose pliers (to pull at the plastic tabs), a sharp pick and flat blade screwdrivers (to pull the innards and pry the filter away from the line). It took me nearly 3 hours but it finally popped loose after I removed the entire plastic release clip.

The problem: The stock fuel line had a metal clip on the inside that was incompatible with the plastic clip on the fuel filter. The metal clips actually use those "fuel filter removal tools" (which are just clips that slide into the metal clip and release the filter). I figured it was probably a mistake at the factory, so I removed the metal clip, made sure the quick release fitting sealed properly, and haven't had a leak or problem removing the filters since.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
J Q