97 cavalier no start/high rpm/engine stall

Threaded View

thanks for taking your time.

On 97 cavalier 2.2 there are following problems:
- Engine stalls or studders on stop lights when i stop and idle. Not
every time though. giving  a little tap or two on a gas pedal would
stabilize the engine. some times i have to keep taping till the green
light.

- Couldn't start the engine after being parked for 3-4 days. I
checked
wires, plugs, spark was there. exhaust smelled like unburned petrol.
So, ignition is ok, fuel is delivered and yet it doesn't start.
Compression shouldn't be a problem, i replaced head gasket and valve
rubber thingies about 8 months ago and  compression was very good
after repair (9.6-9.8 not too bad for 140k chevy engine). Completely
puzzled i tried to start again. after so many tries it finaly
started,
very painfully, shaking, working erraticaly like it is completely out
of timing.  check engine was blinking.
i shut it down. then start it again. it was a OK. check engine is on.
messages P0300 and P0108.
- with engine warm (i haven't tried it on cold) i rev'ed it up to
approx. 4.5K rpm (in neutral) and could hear some missing. like the
engine shuts off for half a second. it felt like if i rev it up any
higher it would backfire.

i appreciate your response and thoughts.

Re: 97 cavalier no start/high rpm/engine stall

    P0300 is a misfire code. P0108 is a MAP sensor (Manifold Absolute
Pressure). The 108 will set because of a misfire or the sensor is bad. The
MAP sensor sets above and near the throttle plate. If you could borrow one
from a working car or use a scanner, you could be sure.

    The two codes could just be the result of any number of other problems.

    Crank sensors are a pretty common problem with that engine. (near the
oil filter)

    The bad thing is, a lot of parts could be replaced and still not do any
good.

Re: 97 cavalier no start/high rpm/engine stall

Are you certain you timed the engine properly when you put the timing belt
back on?  This really sounds like an engine that is out of time.

--

-Mike-
mmarlowREMOVE@alltel.net

Re: 97 cavalier no start/high rpm/engine stall

there is no time belt, there is a chain though. when i was changing
valve seals and head gasket i didn't have to take it off.

Re: 97 cavalier no start/high rpm/engine stall

Ok - I thought all of the 2.2L 4 cylinders of that vintage used a timing
belt - guess I learned something.  I'm puzzled though - how did you get a
head off without removing the chain?  Isn't that an OHC engine?
--

-Mike-
mmarlowREMOVE@alltel.net

--

-Mike-
mmarlowREMOVE@alltel.net

Re: 97 cavalier no start/high rpm/engine stall

Wrong again it is a pushrod engine. P0108 is MAP sensor high voltage. Start
with that.

Re: 97 cavalier no start/high rpm/engine stall

2.2 in 97 pushrod, 2.4: DOHC, current 2.2L DOHC

Re: 97 cavalier no start/high rpm/engine stall

I guess what threw me off was that my daughter had a '94 Sunbird with a 2.1L
in it that was DOHC, but that motor was made in Brazil.  I guess I assumed
that all of the 4's were OHC.

Learnt something new again...

--

-Mike-
mmarlowREMOVE@alltel.net

Re: 97 cavalier no start/high rpm/engine stall

Difficulty starting and a rough idle after sitting for a few days sounds
like something is stuck.  Since it obviously jarred loose the next time you
started the vehicle (but is still faulty enough to cause some misfire even
at high RPM), I would check the EGR valve, first to see if it's sticking,
then check if the valve and manifold port are full of soot.

B.

Site Timeline