97 Cavalier Rad fan not working- Code P0480

The radiator fan in my friends 97 Cavalier is not working. The engine light is also on, and I scanned for codes and got the P0480 code: P0480 Cooling Fan I Control Circuit Malfunction

I clear the code, and within about 10 seconds, the code comes back, fan does not turn on.

I jumpered the relay, and the fan runs fine. I switched the relay with the heater blower relay, and the heater fan still works, so the relay is not to blame. I unplugged the coolant temp. switch and the engine stalled, but the fan did not kick in. I just read on another forum that if you unplug this, the ECM will ground out the fan as a fail safe, and the fan should run but I don't remember this happening.

Anything else I should look for?

Thanks.

Ryan.

Reply to
Cyclone Guy

This is a very long shot, but could the ECT sensor wire (YELLOW) to the powertrain control module be shorted to ground somewhere along its length?

Reply to
Silver Surfer