'97 Cavalier won't run

My daughter's '97 Cavalier, 2.2 4-cylinder (80,000 miles) quit running Saturday; had it towed home. The starter spins the engine over fine but will not start. Here's what I've checked so far:
1. There is good spark at every plug. They're gapped at .060", but were wet when removed. 2. Since the plugs were wet, I assumed it was getting fuel, but to be sure, I disconnected the fuel line from the discharge side of the fuel filter. When turning the key on, there is fuel flowing for approx. 2 seconds, which I've been told is normal. Also, with a spark plug removed and cranking the engine, there is some fuel splash coming from the open spark plug hole.
O.K., it's got fuel and spark. Now what? Well, next....
3. I removed the valve cover and then cranked the engine over. Surprize... none of the valves move. Got to be a timing belt, or is it a chain on this engine?
I'm amazed that with only 80,000 miles a chain (or belt) would go bad. Is there anything specific I should be looking for? If it is a chain that needs replacement, how tough is this job? Doesn't appear to be very much room to work with there.
I apologize if this has been asked before. I did do a search on this topic in this group but still have questions on this subject. Thanks very much. Denny
The 2.2 is a chain. So pull it apart and look may have bent some valves here too, if the chain went bad.

-
Shep wrote:

Thanks Shep. Will start on it this weekend. Denny