97 Chevy Monte Carlo shift lever problem(automatic trans)

My mother's car, and as the temperature goes down the difficulty of moving the shift lever(automatic trans) goes up. It is on the steering column. At around 50 degrees it is really hard for even me to move it and she is in her late 70's and fairly weak of arm.

Has anyone heard of this before? She is living on social security so if I can figure out a way to fix it or make it better myself I'll give it a try. Any suggestions fellas?

TIA

RonT

Reply to
Ron Truitt