'97 LeSabre no start

3800 with 135xxx. Car started fine this morning, met friends for breakfast and when I came out the car wouldn't start. I have dash lights, headlights
and radio, just nothing when I hit the key. No tick tick tick; nothing. A j ump doesn't help. Sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas? Thanks.
dplayer wrote:

Bad cable, bad starter, bad solenoid, bad solenoid wiring, bad ign switch, bad key resistor, bad security module, bad neutral/start switch, bad n/s linkage, etc. You will have to determine which.

Try placing it in neutral instead of park. If that works, then check neutral safety switch.
But other than that, as mentioned above, it could be anything. Best if you use factory electrical diagrams, a multimeter, and know how to troubleshoot electrical systems.
If you don't have the right tools for the job (multimeter and wiring diagrams) or knowledge, then take it to a mechanic who likes to do electrical work.
On Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:23:40 AM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
s for breakfast and when I came out the car wouldn't start. I have dash lig hts, headlights and radio, just nothing when I hit the key. No tick tick ti ck; nothing. A jump doesn't help. Sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas? Than ks. > > Bad cable, bad starter, bad solenoid, bad solenoid wiring, > bad ig n switch, bad key resistor, bad security module, > bad neutral/start switch , bad n/s linkage, etc. > You will have to determine which. Try placing it in neutral instead of park. If that works, then check neutral safety switch . But other than that, as mentioned above, it could be anything. Best if yo u use factory electrical diagrams, a multimeter, and know how to troublesho ot electrical systems. If you don't have the right tools for the job (multi meter and wiring diagrams) or knowledge, then take it to a mechanic who lik es to do electrical work.
I tried re-positioning to park and neutral a few times with no result. Pull ed the starter and had it checked. Solenoid and starter kicked in and spun great. Re-installed and still nothing. Tried jumping starter direct and got the solenoid to kick in, but it wouldn't turn the engine, which confuses m e. We manually turned the engine just to eliminate the possibility of engin e lock-up. Tomorrow will try to clean neutral switch connections, but still confused about solenoid kicking in, but not turning engine.
On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 19:14:13 -0700 (PDT), dplayer

Check the wires. It may have enough juice to pull in the solenoid, but not turn the starter. I've seen older cables that look good, but they are corroded under the first couple of inches of insulation.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yup. Or the copper washer in the solenoid is shot.
Paul in Houston TX wrote:

hmmmm, 97 GM...I'll go with:
side post battery is BARELY connected to the cables.
GW
On Friday, June 28, 2013 12:42:36 AM UTC-5, Geoff Welsh wrote:
d re-positioning to park and neutral a few times with no >>> result. Pulled the starter and had it checked. Solenoid and starter >>> kicked in and spu n great. Re-installed and still nothing. Tried >>> jumping starter direct a nd got the solenoid to kick in, but it >>> wouldn't turn the engine, which confuses me. We manually turned the >>> engine just to eliminate the possib ility of engine lock-up. Tomorrow >>> will try to clean neutral switch conn ections, but still confused >>> about solenoid kicking in, but not turning engine. >> >> >> Check the wires. It may have enough juice to pull in the s olenoid, but >> not turn the starter. I've seen older cables that look good , but they >> are corroded under the first couple of inches of insulation.

Battery is fresh and connections are tight.
On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 21:41:37 -0700 (PDT), dplayer

But is the cable under the insulation in good condition? It may be corroded where you cannot see it. The connections are tight, but are they clean and making good contact?
This applies to both ends, not just the battery.