97 Lumina Cat Conv

1997 Lumina LS w/3.1 122k miles
A hard code was set, so not owning a scan tool I dropped by my old high school buddies shop for a scan while I unwound a printer share
prob on his shop network. I can't remember the exact DTC but he indicated that the cat converter was bad due to the voltage readings at each HO2S as well as other parameters.
Question1: Is this common, and could something else make the OBD2 think the converter was going?
Question 2: If I have to buy one I'll not take a chance with a salvage pull off unless I could be assured it came off a lower milage total, so the new part market came up with an OEM unit at a Cad/OLDS dealer back east for 486.00 plus S/H. Can I do better than this and still have a part the OBD2 likes?
Item 2: When I feel the time has come for the Secondary Ign components need R&R will the parts have to come from GM or has the afternarket picked those up for their line? When I see the parts bill for the items can I expect to wish I was still driving a Dart or Falcon?
Jack Happy Lumina Owner for the moment
Assuming it was a P0420 that was set with no other codes, then most likely yes, the converter is worn out. A sensor problem would most likely make the converter appear better than it was to the system, not worse.
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 21:46:34 GMT, "Robert Hancock"

Thank you sir. You know your OBD2 as that's exactly what the printout said, once I retrieved it from its lodgement behind the chair in the bog. A 500 dollar cat is on its way.
snipped-for-privacy@spamgourmet.com wrote:

If O2 voltage readings were ahead of the cat, then what does that tell you?

How you going to get a salvage pull when its illegal for salvage yards to sell them in the US? You could maybe get one on Ebay or from a private party though. There are aftermarket ones if you hunt, but many are not completely plug and play out of of the box.
Bob

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 18:36:32 -0600, BOB URZ

That I know absolutely nothing about EEC theory, which is why I was here asking questions.

2 replies, 2 items learned. That's why I come to the newsgroups for answers. I'm glad I hadn't moved to the point where I actually put in a request for one of those on the Salvage & Dismantlers request net. Your answer made me realize I'm futzing around wasting time due to the sticker shock on that converter, why not order one and be happy with the fact that in 122k miles the only other item needing repair labor has been the front pads, so quit dicking around, be thankful for the reliable car, and order the frikkin part. So I did. I appreciate your answer and your time. Thank you Bob.
Jack
P.S. Your email address appears in the header WITHOUT the spambot defeat text. They harvest addy's there too.
Dr Sparks wrote:

********************************************************************************************* Well, i jacked around a little too long on my s-10 and fried my cat. My cat rattles like my kids rock tumbler now. So, before you order or install a cat, make sure all else is 100%. I would start with plugs, wires, O2 sensors and go from there. Run a bottle of Injector cleaner though while your at it. Drive it for awhile then check the codes again.
Bob
On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 09:31:20 -0600, BOB URZ

California, and I have to be able to pass compliance in two weeks so I can get the damn tags. So I'll roll the 500 dollar dice and hope it results in no light and a cleared code. I appreciate the advice anyway.
D.S.