97 Pontiac Montana Stalling

A friend just called with problems with their van. It will stall out while driving - as if it had run out of gas. He's already replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pump. The van will start right up again and drive for
unpredictable distances after this occurrence. Sometimes it will stall several times within a few miles and then seem to run ok for a while and other times it may only stall once.
Seems I recall reading something similar here over the past several months but a google search didn't turn anything up.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Crank sensor - assuming its some sort of V-6.

while
for
months
Two follow up points that I should have supplied in my original post (brain fart - comes with old age...)
1) it's a 3.4L 2) I suspected the crank sensor and was seeking confirmation
Thanks Paul - I appreciate the reply.