'97 Surburban Won't Shift From Park

I can't get my column shifter to move out of park. At first this only occurred occasionally, but now it won't shift at all. It has nothing to do with being on a hill.
Does anyone know if there is a switch that may have gone bad or something? Also, now the "Service Engine" light has come on.
Thanks, Charles
This info taken from 1995 Monte Carlo repair manual, should be similar for your Chevy. Check the stop lamp switch on the brake pedal and the brake transmission shift interlock solenoid for proper operation.
Gear selector in park. Ignition switch to 'RUN'. Disconnect stoplamp switch. Check for voltage on Brake Transmission Shift Interlock solenoid (maybe PPL/BLK wire) I'm not sure where this is located on a column shift. If you get voltage there is a short somewhere.
Reconnect Stop Lamp Switch. Depress brake pedal, check for voltage coming out of the switch (PPL wire maybe) If yes, stoplamp switch is bad or out of adjustment. If no, solenoid is bad or binding.
Steve

There is a shift lock solenoid on your truck activated by the brake switch.. the most common failure is the actual shift lock solenoid..Its kinda weird on this rig.. theres a rod coming from the column at the shifter and going toward the front of the truck.This rod has to move a little to allow the shifter to move.. it goes through the solenoid I'm talking about .The pin in the solenoid gets gummy and wont pull in and away from the rod... usually you end up changing the solenoid.. Bobo

Charles,
I know this sounds kind of dumb, but did you hit the brake before you tried shifting out of park? And yes, it must be done in this sequence.
GMdude