98 Buick LeSabre

Page 2 of 2
Okay, Ed.. I'll try to stop the research now. From what I have found, the Gen II was substituted into some cars for the Gen I about mid year.
Read your VIN number.
Here are the codes:
L36 vin code K Generation II L67 vin code 1 Generation I
The engine code should be the 8th item in the VIN sequence.
And, the L36 is the one that has the most problems.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

You might want to recheck that in those years. A code 1 3800 is the supercharged model. The K is the normally aspirated.
Ian

I only found those two, and the codes seemed to check with the L numbers. I DID find a reference to a midyear change between Gen I and Gen II.
I certainly respect your info. What do you say was the effective date for the incept of Gen II?
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

I'm not sure exactly when the Gen's changed. But I do know that in 98 a Code 1 engine is a supercharged 3800 GEN II. Unfortunately our online Service Info only goes back to 98 and the old paper service manuals are all up in the parts department. I may browse thru them if I get a chance.
Ian

There are a number of sites to look up the older VIN numbers. Wikipedia is but one.
Going back even further in time, the VIN code numbers and system may not be consistent with the later data.
If the 1995 owner can post his VIN code, maybe we could arrive at an answer by the process of elimination.
My 90 Reatta has a Gen I, and the code is indeed C in the eighth position
My wife's 98 Buick, with the Gen II, is K in the eighth position.
Ian was probably right on with the vin code 1 being the supercharged version.
So to the poster with the 1995 car, if your vin number has K in the eighth position, you have the weak plenum.

Thanks! Mine is VIN code 1, so apparently I lucked out on that issue. We will be getting a new car anyway, but just wanted to know what might be in the future of whoever owns it.
Ed
Just sold my aunt's 99 LeSabre with 11,000 miles on it, In 7 years nothing but the fuel pressure regulator was replaced under recall.
A friend had a 99 as well and had numerous runnability problems. He had the FP Regulator replaced 3-4 times. Then he traded it for a Hyundia Sante Fe in 2004.
Harryface
05 Park Avenue 36,232 91 Bonneville LE 306,191

aunt's '99!!! Got a weakness for those low-mileage cars. And a Buick on top of that! s