'98 Buick Lesabre 3.8L question

I have to change the belt on a 1998 Buick Le Sabre Limited 3800. It appears that I will have to lift the engine mount to do it. Am I correct? Does anyone in here know if this is so or am I just seeing things?

TIA Duane

Reply to
69Rocketman

I have a 1995 Oldsmobile Regency with the 3.8L and to change the belt I had to remove a bolt with a spacer to get the belt in the proper place. It has been a couple of years, but I recall it was a pain. The mount closed just a small amount when the spacer was removed, and it was difficult to get the spacer back in place. Terry

Reply to
tp

"69Rocketman" wrote

You do not have to "lift" the engine mount. You need to loosen the top two nuts on the engine bracket where it bolts to the engine, (note: one nut is slightly behind the ps pump pulley, leave it at first, and see if the mount will move away at the bottom without loosening it) remove the bottom nut and stud. At this point, the weight of the engine should force the bottom part of the mount to move slightly away from the block, which allows you to easily remove the spacer between the block and the mount. Remove your old belt, thread in the new belt. Reverse what you've done so far, and that should be it. Oh...most of this work will be done through the passenger side wheel well. Remove the right wheel and the splash shield (if there is one). At this point, the lower part of the mount should be staring you right in the face.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Good tip Ian. Now that I'm working again I can look forward to doing one of those with ease. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Thanks a lot Ian, great news. Hopefully it all goes that smooth for me. I'll come back in if not...lol

Thanks again

Duane

Reply to
69Rocketman

Thanks for the information. Everything went very smoothly and the belt changing took only about 30 minutes. The only problems I encountered were in re connecting the splash shield because I broke the fasteners when I removed it. I made some new ones using drywall mollys and an old metal coat hanger.

Reply to
rmriddle

You aren't applying for a job with Mister Goodwrench, are you?

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

"Robertwgross" wrote