98 Buick LeSabre starter motor removal

My brother has this car and the starter motor is just making a rough grinding sound when you try to start the car..But before I get him a new starter I just want to make 100% sure that`s the problem and take the starter off and go get it tested...Looking under there it seems a pain to remove..It looks like I see one bolt going sideways up to the motor..Most starters I`ve replaces the bolts run longways along the starter body...Plus it looks as if there are things that are in the way of removal...Any input before I go mess with this again will be appreciated

Reply to
Sara Brown

Document ID# 549734

1998 Buick LeSabre

Starter Motor Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution Before servicing any electrical component, the ignition key must be in the OFF or LOCK position and all electrical loads must be OFF, unless instructed otherwise in these procedures. If a tool or equipment could easily come in contact with a live exposed electrical terminal, also disconnect the negative battery cable. Failure to follow these precautions may cause personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

Disconnect the negative battery cable. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information. Remove the splash shield. Remove the flywheel inspection cover bolts. Remove the cover. Disconnect the starter motor wiring. Remove the starter motor mounting bolts. Remove the starter motor.

Installation Procedure

Notice Before installing the starter motor to the engine, secure the electrical terminals by tightening the nuts next to the cap on the solenoid battery terminal and on the SD-255 S terminal. If these terminals are not tight in the solenoid cap, the cap may be damaged during installation of the electrical connections and cause the starter to fail later.

Install the starter motor.

Notice Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the starter motor mounting bolts. Tighten Tighten the bolts to 43 N·m (32 lb ft). Install the flywheel inspection cover. Install the cover bolts. Tighten Tighten the bolts to 7 N·m (22 lb in).

Connect the starter motor BAT terminal wire. Tighten Tighten the BAT terminal nut to 16 N·m (12 lb ft).

Connect the starter motor S terminal wire. Tighten Tighten the S terminal nut to 3 N·m (22 lb in).

Lower the vehicle. Connect the negative battery cable. Tighten Tighten the cable bolt to 15 N·m (11 lb ft).

1998 Buick LeSabre
Reply to
Silver Surfer