98 cavalier dash lights electric short- PLEASE RESPOND. Any recommendations?

I've got a 1998 chevy cavalier with a short in the electrical system. Here's my dilemma. When the headlights are off, using the right signal causes every light in the dash and surrounding areas to flash bright
then dim (including radio display, dash illumination light and gear indication light (whether it's in park, drive, reverse, etc.) basically every light in the dash.) When headlights are on, the right turn signal light in the dash (the one that usually flashes) stays on constantly and the actual turn signal that the world around me sees, doesn't flash. I have a haynes manual, but can't understand the electrical schematics at all. It's obviously a short somewhere, but where do I start? Is there a specific place I can look, because of how many lights are effected? Has anyone had a similiar experience? I tried moving the wires around in the steering column area and checked the fuses but nothing helped. Any responses to my problem would be greatly appreciated.
jared3212 wrote:

If I were you, I would start by looking at both the front and the rear right side signal light bulbs. You will be looking for something like one of the filiments has broken and is laying across the other good filiment. Often, I've run into this and the current from the good filiment feeds back up through the broken filiment which happens to be the park light filiment. Start there before you get too stressed out.
Ian
jared wrote:

I think you will find the Helm manual schematics to be much more complete.
---Bob Gross---