98 chevy venture motor

Hi all , I have a 98 chevy venture and it has a 3400 motor the intake went on it and we replaced it ,, it is running but smoking bad ,, instead of starting over and finding the problem we were hoping to beable to
change the motor and replace it with a 3100 but not sure if it will fit ,, if anyone knows please contact me mandas snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com. thank you
thank you

Replacing it with a 3.1 is going to result in a vehicle with less power. Why would you want to do that? You'd have to change out the ECM as well. It is also going to take more work to swap out the motor than to fix what is wrong now. From what you say above, it appears the engine did not smoke before the fix - correct?
What exactly was wrong with the intake that caused you to replace it? The intakes do not go bad on these. The gaskets do, and the fix is not too bad a job if you've done one already, but the intake does not fail. Maybe you did not do a good job on the gasket replacement - still better to do that again than to put another motor in.
What color is the smoke you're blowing? Any other descriptive commentary you can offer beyond the fact that it's smoking?
It sounds like you're jumping the gun on the motor swap.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

mandas snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in

Less problems with 3.1 compared to the 3.4? Aren't they essentially the same engine? As for having less power, the GM minivans (Pontiac Montana, Chevy Venture, Olds Silhouette) are a GM/Opel (German//American) design. In Europe, the Opel equivalent (looks just like a Venture) has 2 engine options -- a 2.0 liter or a 3.0 liter (those #'s may be off a bit but close). And they have manual trannies available on the Europe Venture due to high cost of gas in Europe. But if I were you, I'd fix your current engine if it'll be $1000 or less or not too much hassle for you if you're fixing it yourself. Anything greater than $1000, and I'd look for a low mile used 3400 engine (that has a warranty) at a salvage parts warehouse (like out of a wrecked car).
-
hi,, it would be 800$ to rebuild the motor i have now 1200 and tax for a new one from the dealer but i don't want to be back in the same place i am now in 2 months ,, and we can't get one anywhere around here not even out of a wreaked car and if i did theres no warrenty with it ,, but thanx for the reply there all pointing me to rebuild so i guess its a chance same as if i change over to a 3100. mandas Grappletech wrote:

A brand new 3400 from the dealer is only $1200? I think I'd go for the brand new engine if it's only $400 more than a rebuilt one. Plus a brand new engine would have a warranty whereas the rebuilt one will have less of a warranty depending on where you get it rebuilt. 1200 seems cheap to me since the last time I was looking for a new engine, for a Nissan Sentra, I was quoted $3200 from the Nissan dealership!
-
mandas snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

The Venture is underpowered enough with a 3.4. I wouldn't even think about putting a 3.1 in it.
Failed intake manifold gaskets on this family of engines seems like almost a sure thing. If you catch it early, not too big of a deal. But if significant coolant got into the oil ... rut row !