98 chevy venture motor

Hi all , I have a 98 chevy venture and it has a 3400 motor the intake went on it and we replaced it ,, it is running but smoking bad ,, instead of starting over and finding the problem we were hoping to beable to change the motor and replace it with a 3100 but not sure if it will fit ,, if anyone knows please contact me mandas snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com. thank you

Reply to
mandas_22

Replacing it with a 3.1 is going to result in a vehicle with less power. Why would you want to do that? You'd have to change out the ECM as well. It is also going to take more work to swap out the motor than to fix what is wrong now. From what you say above, it appears the engine did not smoke before the fix - correct?

What exactly was wrong with the intake that caused you to replace it? The intakes do not go bad on these. The gaskets do, and the fix is not too bad a job if you've done one already, but the intake does not fail. Maybe you did not do a good job on the gasket replacement - still better to do that again than to put another motor in.

What color is the smoke you're blowing? Any other descriptive commentary you can offer beyond the fact that it's smoking?

It sounds like you're jumping the gun on the motor swap.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

hi,, thanks for the reply and im sorry i didn't explain alittle more ,,, it was the intake gaskets we replaced ,,, and it is now running but with a miss in it and the smoke is blue ,,, it doesn't smell like oil burning and someone said it could be burnt rings but i herd once it is fixed we could have the problem once again ,,, so just to get rid of the 3400 and replace it with a 3100 i know they have some problems too but not as many and where i live a 3400 is very hard to get ,, and as far as power its a mini van so it don't really matter that much ,,,

Mandas

Mike Marlow wrote:

Reply to
mandas_22

mandas snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@73g2000cwn.googlegroups.com:

Less problems with 3.1 compared to the 3.4? Aren't they essentially the same engine? As for having less power, the GM minivans (Pontiac Montana, Chevy Venture, Olds Silhouette) are a GM/Opel (German//American) design. In Europe, the Opel equivalent (looks just like a Venture) has 2 engine options -- a 2.0 liter or a 3.0 liter (those #'s may be off a bit but close). And they have manual trannies available on the Europe Venture due to high cost of gas in Europe. But if I were you, I'd fix your current engine if it'll be $1000 or less or not too much hassle for you if you're fixing it yourself. Anything greater than $1000, and I'd look for a low mile used 3400 engine (that has a warranty) at a salvage parts warehouse (like out of a wrecked car).

Reply to
Grappletech

Reply to
mandas_22

A brand new 3400 from the dealer is only $1200? I think I'd go for the brand new engine if it's only $400 more than a rebuilt one. Plus a brand new engine would have a warranty whereas the rebuilt one will have less of a warranty depending on where you get it rebuilt. 1200 seems cheap to me since the last time I was looking for a new engine, for a Nissan Sentra, I was quoted $3200 from the Nissan dealership!

Reply to
Grappletech

The Venture is underpowered enough with a 3.4. I wouldn't even think about putting a 3.1 in it.

Failed intake manifold gaskets on this family of engines seems like almost a sure thing. If you catch it early, not too big of a deal. But if significant coolant got into the oil ... rut row !

Reply to
John Horner