98 Jimmy and anti-freeze question

Hello all,

At my next oil change I would like to flush radiator and change coolant. ( have 60k on car ) . I have read that the Dex-cool -orange colored fluid is not all its cracked up to be and should be replaced with the standard green fluid. Also it was suggested that I have someone with a flushing machine clean the entire system before changing the fluid. Any truth to this tale? And if so should I also change the hoses at the same time.

Thanks for your help.

Dave-

Reply to
Xanth

New hoses are a good idea, change heater hoses too.

As for Dexcool, it's getting some bum raps from people who pour sealer like it was water. If you use a " Good " radiator cap, one that holds pressure, and keep the system full, Dex Cool will not cause any problems. I have used it for several years in two cars and prefer it to the Green Stuff. I live on a road frequented by Enviro Police [ they shut down the shops on both sides of me ] so the less often I see " Green River " the better.

As for flushing, check local enviro regs. I'd say catch used coolant in pans, funnel into jugs, take to auto parts store for responsible disposal. As for the weak coolant still in system when you first flush, catch that too. When clear water flows freely, drain, and add antifreeze. Since block fills with water, add straight antifreeze to fill radiator, start up, when thermostat opens, add more straight antifreeze. Fill up recovery tank with any leftover antifreeze, or if it took it all [ most cars 2 gallons ] fill tank with water

Reply to
451ctds

I disagree with the red stuff getting a bum wrap. I had it in my '97 Blazer and all it did was form a scum and other crud. My Blazer never had any sealant added to it. The coolant started to "gurgle" through the heater core when you would press on the gas. I think it mostly is a design defect with a Blazer, because I've had this red stuff in other vehicles with no problem.

Anyhow mine is switched over to the green now.

By the way what a piece of crap GM threw together when they made the Blazer and Jimmys. I had a '94 that was an excellent vehicle with 173,000 on it when I sold it. I bought the '97 new, now it has 74,000, and have had all kinds of stuff go wrong with it.

Reply to
The Adams Family

Here's my take on Dex-cool(crap) I also have a 1998 Blazer LT 4x4 / 4.3 / 75k....bought used in 2002 with 50k (Dex-Cool at the Time), in the first month after buying the Blazer I had the Intake Gasket leak and while it was getting repaired my Radiator had allot of Clumped-up sand through out the rad and my heating system...After it was all fixed and everything Flushed and cleaned out...My truck has never seen Dex-cool and have never had any trouble since using the good 'ol Green antifreeze...Do like "Santa" and "zonie" said Get that Dex-cool out it is garbage....Do a "Google" search about blazers(other cars/trucks) and dex-cool allot of unhappy people who have had nothing but trouble with this Crap Good Luck Bud Let us know how you make out and as well Happy New Year Iron

Reply to
Iron

Dad has a typical Blazer. 117k. Had to have the radiator replaced and intake. Short summary: He's already put $1200 into it and has had it only a little over a month.

Reply to
Travis King