98 Jimmy speakers

Hello all,

I am about to change my speakers since 2 are shot with no audio (opposite channels 1 rear right 1 front left)

While I working in the SUV I opened the grill covers on the dash to check the size of the speakers in there, well to my surprise there are no speakers installed in the dash. There is wiring setup for it, so I would like to know if someone could verify the size. I think they are 4x6 style (oval).

Why were there never speakers installed but dash grills and wiring set-up for them?

Also does anybody have a good site for replacement speakers?

Thanks,

Xanth

Reply to
Xanth

Did you buy the vehicle new in 1998 ?

If you did, your just finding out now, 5 years later you have no front speakers. How could that be. If your radio was only playing out the rear speakers wouldn't you question it years ago why there is no sound coming from the front?

Do you have speakers in the front door panels?

Dual air bags is what might of eliminated the front speakers from your vehicle, but then they would of moved the speakers to the front doors like most vehicles have done.

good luck

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~274,504 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

More then likely because you didnt pay for them.

Reply to
Masterson

Buy the car off a lease.. It was my wifes until 3 months ago when her car died, she got the new on and I took the Jimmy.

I checked this moring and I do have audio from t the GM connector so I will jst put in pair of 4x6 spekares and have extra sound.

And by the way YES i do have speakers in the door but 2 or blown, 1 front pass and 1 rear drivers side. Cheap GM speakers can not take the full oad of the cheap stereo.

Time for a full upgrade. Any ideas on where I can get the speaker connecorts?

Xanth

Reply to
Xanth

You got got to remember a dash can be used for many configurations. A basic pickup might only have speakers in the dash. A SUV version might have speakers in the doors and the back. SO does GM make two versions of the dash? NO. They just leave out the speakers in the dash of the deluxe models with enhanced front speakers in the doors.

The thing you have to be careful of is if the dash speakers and the door speakers are wired in parallel on the front side of the fader. Using both (if you add) may overload your stereo with too low of a ohms load causing problems. Just be careful you don't cause more problems.

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ