98 LaSabre secutity light

Wife had her 98 LaSabre at work the other day and it wouldn't start. She said the dash lights all came on but when she turned the key it would do nothing. She tried it a couple times and it started.

I looked at it today and the battery terms were a mess. I gave them a good cleaning and it started fine. Then wife went to use it again and came in saying it would not start. I went out and the security light on the dash was on. I turned tried to start it and nothing. I took the key in and out several times, trying to start it each time and still nothing. Then I took the key and cleaned off the resistor thingy on it and this time it started. The security light then went off.

Any ideas on what could be going on?

TIA

Reply to
Tim or Linda

Do you have another key to use? Sounds like a worn key / ignition switch.

Goo Luck.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue 36,008 91 Bonneville LE 306,123
Reply to
Harry Face

I do have a second key. I bet a replacement key would be expensive.

Reply to
Tim or Linda

I think there around $55 a key. Dealer only.

Reply to
scrapir

Hairy

Wife used my key today and no problems. I will give it a while and see what if she has a problem starting it with my key. She is the only one who drives the Buick.

Reply to
Tim or Linda

hi check with lock smiths in your town. they may be able to make the key and program it for you. i live in ny city and i found a guy to do it for m for that car for 45.00. big ev

Reply to
BIG-EV

If your key has the little "pellet" on it, this is a common issue with Caddys. Cleaning the key really well or replacing the key usually resolves it. There is a guy on Ebay who sells the special key blanks. Your local locksmith can then cut the pattern. I bought two in 1997 for my '93 which only came with one key and they were about $27 each, IIRC.

Reply to
NickySantoro

I cleaned the key and gave my key that has been used very little to the wife. She had a problem with it the other day. It only happens now and then but one of these days she is going to call and say it wont start. I wonder if it could be the battery, starter, or the key switch not reading the security chip on the key.

Reply to
Tim or Linda