98 Lumina computer?

I have a 98 Lumina. In the past week my wife complained that the car acted like it didn?t have very much power. I thought it was probably the battery, it was 5 years old,replaced it. The car ran fine for 2 days then the engine one day wouldn?t turn over. If I jump the car it will run for a few miles then die out again. I changed the alternator as well. Without being hooked up to another engine, when I try to start it, the switch just clicks and wont turn over. Any ideas? Should I try resetting the computer? If so how? Thanks!

Reply to
randy

"randy" wrote: > I have a 98 Lumina. In the past week my wife complained that > the car acted like it didn't have very much power. I thought > it was probably the battery, it was 5 years old,replaced it. > The car ran fine for 2 days then the engine one day wouldn't > turn over. If I jump the car it will run for a few miles then > die out again. I changed the alternator as well. Without > being hooked up to another engine, when I try to start it, the > switch just clicks and wont turn over. Any ideas? Should I > try resetting the computer? If so how? Thanks!

Make sure the Red wire on back of the alternator has 12volts to it (red single heavy gauge wire).On the battery most GM cars/trucks have

2 positive cables on the battery make sure that they are free of acid build up and are tight.
Reply to
Shakes73

This doesn't sound like a computer issue to me. Is it possible that something (trunk light, glove compartment light, etc.) is draining your battery when the car is sitting? Are the main battery connections clean and tight? No damage on the cables? Solid ground connection on the engine or body? Do you see any activity from the "charge" indicator on the dash? The starter is also a possible suspect.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

sorry you have this problem first i would check battery voltage before and after you start you should have 13.0 to 14.2 is the battery light on? do you have power at the large red wire at the back of alt. if you don't have power at the bolted on wire on the back of alt. thats were the fusable links or the maxi fuses are the problem pull the fusable links at the starter to check

Reply to
ob1