98 Lumina Water Pump

Friends,

I'm in the middle of replacing the water pump on a 1998, Lumina, 3.1, sedan. I have a few dumb questions (the only kind I know how to ask).

  1. Does the little raised triangular stud on the pump signify the top? I didn't mark the old one when I took it off.

  1. Should a gasket compound (like Permatex HI Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker) be put on both sides of the gasket or is it just necessary to put it on one side to keep it in place? Should it be put on light or heavy?

  2. The Haynes manual says to clean the mounting screws but I can't quite seem to be able to get all the crap out of the threads. How clean do they have to be and what's the best way to do this?

  1. Do the mounting screws have to be coated with the gasket maker too?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
scorpioex1

Oh good - dumb questions are so much more fun...

It should go on only one way. Try it - I bet you'll find the mounting holes only line up one way. You'll likely see the shadow of the old one to go by.

Just put a small smear on to hold it in place. The gasket itself is all you need.

Don't worry about it. That's a loc-tite compound.

Nope. In fact, nothing gets coated with gasket maker.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Not necessarily. The pattern to the 5 bolt holes is scattered, the bolt holes will only line up one way. Shouldn't be a big deal to do a dry test fit and then mark the top of the pump.

RTV silicone and paper gaskets are a bad mix. If you feel the need, I'd use #2 Permatex or Indian Head gasket shellac.

Clean like you'd expect to find as new in the hardware store. Wire wheel on a bench grinder works best.

No, but the torques spec is quite low, so don't over do it when you tighten them.

Reply to
aarcuda69062